1961 Raleigh superbe (Helio)

The cog side end plate has a 2 start thread, we normally marked the original location. If you reassemble on the wrong thread the wheel will be seriously out of true. If so mark the position and reassemble on the alternate thread start.

Dynohubs normally had 4 brass screws inserted from the outside.

Keith

Re:

Thought i might as well add this.. a comparison between the grease hub (25 years old) and the Oil Hub (60 years old) the grease hub showed quite a lot more corrosion than the oil one and the grease did not look too clever it went brown and horrible. despite the 60 year old oil hub being kinda neglected for quite a few years and then left out in the rain for 1 or 2 when i took it apart that was how it looked

Attachments

• 3 speed hub 1995.jpg
    3 speed hub 1995.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 610
  • 4 speed hub 2.jpg
    4 speed hub 2.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 611
So regular light oiling would be much better than leaving it in grease for long periods of time. (though i guess you guys know this much already)

Re:

Cleaned up the parts... left the dynamo alone and greased the axle bearings. The ball cup bearings I'll have to do later but I put it back together and it works fine. Further increasing my love for older tech.. it's sturdy. doesn't change the fact that the gear adjustment is finicky

Been looking into LED bulbs for Helio anyone recommend any that they are using? mine are good but i wanna try LEDs to see what they ar like

Re:

I've just bought one of these today, not sure what year it is but it's very similar to yours, except it has rod-operated brakes.
I'm about to post a thread on it to gather any info I can about it's history and availability of parts.
I'm a little daunted by it due to it's age but one thing's for sure, it had to be saved :)

Re:

Hey guys thought i would update since i havent in a while.
I got a new R.I Prop stand which is in much better condition.
DIY'd the bottom plate for the FSU battery housing
Put new tires and dunlop inner tubes on.

Theres still alot to do however

Attachments

• 20210201_135905.jpg
    20210201_135905.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 58
Re:

I have now ordered original front brake cable and replacement Chaincase parts
parts list looks something like:
original rear brake cable M.829B
replacement mudguards
Replacement Rims (not required but could benefit) 32hf and 40hr
kitbag