1954 Claud Butler Jubilee Special #5412 8509

The History Man":2bk66vls said:
Great job. well worth the effort.
Thanks THM, not bad for an e-bay purchaser ;)

T– minus (RBotM June) 23 days & counting

Todays lunchtime pack-up…. a not so appetising aluminium 27mm seat post that’s as rough as a badgers arse! But it’s the only one I have that isn’t fluted, swept back, too thin or otherwise just obviously 1980’s plus in age.
I’ll post the result tomorrow, although I’m not hoping for more than “reasonably acceptable” at this stage….

Attachments

• Pack-up.jpeg
    Pack-up.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 808
T– minus (RBotM June) 22 days & counting

Not a bad lunch breaks effort, certainly the section of this seat post that will be on show looks shiny enough and the rest has had all the burs removed (without going below 27mm) so it should operate within the tube properly.

Attachments

• Shiny.jpeg
    Shiny.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 789
  • RoughAs.jpeg
    RoughAs.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 789
Re: Re:

cromoman":29ips95h said:
That's a super transformation. I have lunch break envy :D

Cheers Cromoman, I didn’t want to push the machining too far, especially with the shoulder as I was mindful of making the seat unsafe just for cosmetic reasons, I think I’ve got the balance right.... :?

T– minus (RBotM June) 21 days & counting

Now then, the wife’s off to help a friend cater at a wedding, the kids have gone to the local swimming pool, the job list has been nailed in double quick time (you know, the speed you reserve when she’s not around) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veztNJQyRJg

So its off to the workshop, and on to bars & brakes….. somewhere in this nest I know there is a gem of a pair….

Attachments

• Bars.jpeg
    Bars.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 749
Oh, for the joy of jumble sales! I knew there would be a corker amongst that lot… look what I found under the tape! 2hrs of MAAWs metal polish and I’m super happy!

Attachments

• ConcordeEngraving.jpeg
    ConcordeEngraving.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 747
  • Concorde.jpeg
    Concorde.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 747
T– minus (RBotM June) 20 days & counting

I haven’t decided what GB brake levers should grace these bars yet, I do have some gorgeous 1950’s “Super Hoods” with brass adjusters but I was saving them for another project, I’m going to have to have a dig around and see what else I’ve got, but in the meantime, here are a pair of “GB Sport MK3” , considered as very late 50’s & 60’s models, but that’s close enough for this bike I reakon.
Right, unfortunately I’m off to RHS Chatsworth so no play time today……

Attachments

• GB.Sport MK3.jpeg
    GB.Sport MK3.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 725
T– minus (RBotM June) 19 days & counting

Last night I had a rummage through my “clean” bits box, as I knew I had some seriously nice & (for once) complete GB Superhoods with the brass adjustable feral (although I still want to use them elsewhere), and a pair of shiny GB Arret Coureur 66. These are a bit light weight, low rent & from the 60’s so I’m not so keen on using these for this project…then I remembered the jumble box of bars & stems that I recently bought had a few old levers covered in rotten tape/perished rubber.

And yes, there was a pair of first series GB drop-bar levers , ones with screws rather than rivets. They are a little deformed and scratched up, but then I like a challenge.

Attachments

• GB1940's.jpeg
    GB1940's.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 694
  • GBArret Coureur 66.jpeg
    GBArret Coureur 66.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 694
  • GB Superhood.jpeg
    GB Superhood.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 694
Back