Worth buying to rebuild?? updated 9/12

stocko

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ive seen this listed just down the road from me and thinking of trying to get this for best price possible. Always loved the viper red volvo team bike and would love to do a replica version.
Is this bike worth renovating??
and what target price would you ask?? Screenshot_20231207-203934_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Always worth buying if they are only asking £120 for it - I think that is the Galaxy Red with Titanium decals (GRD) on that bike. It will need some shock work done, new chain and cassette - I would say offer £100 and mention the cost of the repairs required. At £100 it would be a great price.

But sure, you have to check carefully the fatty suspension fork. If this needs a service, and most Cannondale bikes offered cheap haven't got one for years or now even decades, or a repair this can get very expensive. Due to the needed tools it's hard to impossible to do it on your own.
Most dealers send them here in Europe to Germany (88 Aid) or France and than stuff has to get replaced because of missing spare parts, ending up with costs approx 400 bucks. Typically a financial disaster.

1. It's not a viper red, making Volvo team replica would require complete repaint. Even then you cannot make a true Volvo replica, as that's a CAAD2 frame. They used CAAD3 frames in high end models.
2. The condition of the headshok defines if it's a reasonable deal or not. I would not buy without more in formation on that. Unless you have decided that you have the money and motivation for overhaul.
3. The frame looks like it has a lot of scratches...
4. As it's a low end model, the parts have almost zero value.
5. It's missing the headshok damping dial.
6. Rusty chain looks like no maintenance. Probably the whole drivetrain needs change.
7. Replaced Deore V-brakes, if you like them or not.

I would personally pass. I can see no point restoring a low end model with the amount of money that would probably take.

Last edited:
another thing, shorter stems for headshock/fatty with 1.56" diameter are also hard or at least expensive to get.

Obviously what we can see from the picture the frame was to large for the current owner and stem to long.

another thing, shorter stems for headshock/fatty with 1.56" diameter are also hard or at least expensive to get.

Obviously what we can see from the picture the frame was to large for the current owner and stem to long.
I think down to 120-130 mm it's quite easy to find a Headshok stem. Shorter than that, it takes time. The current looks like 150 mm?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
After looking at the comments,i've decided to give this a miss.....however...i came across this f2000 frameset with fatty sl fork. Asked alot of questions and seems good to do a deal for £80...albeit waiting for more pics of under the boot to confirm its corrosion free. Not worried about paint cond too much Screenshot_20231209-203707_eBay.jpg

That looks like it’s got the proper tarantula chainset (octalink v1 ) which will also have a XTR M950 BB. I mean I could be wrong as it’s awkward to see from pics but I’d guess so.

After looking at the comments,i've decided to give this a miss.....however...i came across this f2000 frameset with fatty sl fork. Asked alot of questions and seems good to do a deal for £80...albeit waiting for more pics of under the boot to confirm its corrosion free. Not worried about paint cond too muchView attachment 802652
In all honesty the F2000 above is probably a better option for a project, the F500 you would probably sell or recycle most the parts anyway, depending on the your project needs and what you desire. I still think the F500 would be a great project to work on, I guess it all depends on how far and what you want to achieve. I hope you get a good deal on the F2000 if you decide to purchase it.

Back