Wicked fat chance BB Blues: the plot thickens

Re: Wicked Fat Chance BB Blues: Pics Added

That seems to be the consensus so I will start looking. The bike was built up before so I wonder what the idea with the mod was. The previous owner was adamant the paint was original, what makes you say it is not? If it's not original I would consider getting it repainted otherwise I would like to keep it as is.

Prodigal Son":25nv958w said:
It was repainted. That´s when it was probably modified. As CTK says, a Mavic BB solves your troubles. Get the best quality BB possible so you never have to look at that place again.

unofficial said:
That seems to be the consensus so I will start looking. The bike was built up before so I wonder what the idea with the mod was. The previous owner was adamant the paint was original, what makes you say it is not? If it's not original I would consider getting it repainted otherwise I would like to keep it as is.

Fat chance decal is from 94.. from bikes already built at Serotta NY. A 90s frame would have "wicked fat chance" on the down tube.
I have seen those fades before. It was possibly factory repainted so i would leave it as it is. It´s an old bike and should look like an old bike. It looks good.
As for the BB i have an idea: the step you see could be the remnants of a press fit set up. If the mavic bb or anything else goes in there smoothly (w/ your favourite cranks) just leave it alone. Build and ride it. Wickeds are fun bikes: quick handling and awesome at technical singletrack.

EDIT: the sommerville decal is also at the wrong place. I still would not repaint.. I don´t usually like repaints and much prefer patina on an old bike. I would build w/ 1990 deore xt and magura brake levers just like Fat City Cycles built them.

Hasn't had a Italian tap run through it has it? Or god forbid, bodged in.
That's the only other mainstream threaded bottom bracket of comparable size.

Re:

So as it seems as regardless of what's going on the solution is a non threaded bb does anyone have a nice one that they want to sell? I can look myself but may as well check here first! I was hoping to put some old white industry cranks if I can find some and run it singlespeed to start with giving me some flexibility with chain line.

If it were Italian it still seems like it wouldn't just slip all the way in like that rather simply not go in at all?

Paint: it seems like a strong g case to keep it, if its repainted at the factory that's worth preserving.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Re:

Paint is prolly original ( please keep it ), with later decals. Looks like the neatest welds of the master himself - IROBOT. Shame somebody had to thread that BB :facepalm: but as has been said a Mavic should do the trick. These are amazing to ride and well worth looking after. Look forward to the build thread :cool:

Re:

Could you get a helicoil in there to create the correct thread size for a standard bb? Just a thought.

Re:

As I said on the last page, are they both right hand threads?

If so, then it’s italian threaded.

ISO outside diameter: 34.798mm (1.37”)

Italian inside diameter: 34.94 (36 - 1/24x25.4)

So, presuming Fat Chance’s took 35mm OD pressfit bearings then then it used to be pressfit but it has had Italian threads put in. The step in the threads is where the bearing bore ends.

You can get XT (UN71?) BB’s with Italian threads.
Presumably the Mavic is designed for ISO BB’s with damaged threads?

Re: Re:

You could be on to something, I will check, I am always bad at eyeballing thread directions. I wonder if I can source a cheap Italian bb just to try it out, would at least leave me with some options

Rampage":3r36oyn6 said:

If so, then it’s italian threaded.

ISO outside diameter: 34.798mm (1.37”)

Italian inside diameter: 34.94 (36 - 1/24x25.4)

So, presuming Fat Chance’s took 35mm OD pressfit bearings then then it used to be pressfit but it has had Italian threads put in. The step in the threads is where the bearing bore ends.

You can get XT (UN71?) BB’s with Italian threads.
Presumably the Mavic is designed for ISO BB’s with damaged threads?

Re: Re:

Rampage":f57c3fh9 said:
Sorry, didn't notice that you'd already mentioned it! And yes, a BS threaded bottom bracket will drop into an IT threaded shell.
There were a few Italian/other frames through the 80's, 90's and 00's that could have had either depending on which model/year they were and what day of the week they were made. When i was still working in the trade I used to keep a pair of BS and IT cups in the workshop so i could double check before building them up. Saved breaking open the wrong box.

Also meant i could check if the threads were ok.

I think I have a spare Shimano sealed Italian threaded BB - I'll check which model and spindle length.

As previously stated, it sounds like Italian threading as a "normal" threaded bottom bracket will slot effortlessly into my Scapin frames.

Back