Manitou (Skareb) rebuild confusion

gravelproof

Dirt Disciple
Just tearing apart a Manitou Skareb that needs some love, and trying to make sense of the manual.. (https://www.fahrrad-kaiser.de/downloads/1236847643_Skareb_2005.pdf)

The issue I have is that there seems to be a weird and confusing repetition of steps which is making me doubt myself and wonder if I am somehow missing something..
eg. the first few steps of one section

Assembly of Air Piston and Compression Rod Assembly

1. Apply a small amount of Prep M grease onto the threads at the top of the left inner leg with your finger.
  2. Apply a small amount of Prep M grease around the outside diameter of the new air piston.
  3. Insert the air piston (metal side up) into the inner leg through the threaded area at the top of the inner leg. Use your fingers to push the piston past the threads into the leg.
followed by:

Reassembly of Crown Steer/Leg Assembly

1. Grease the outside of the air piston and then apply a thin film of grease to the threads at the top of the inner leg. It is recommended to use Prep M grease (P/N: 85-0031). Push the piston into the top of the left inner leg with the metallic side of the piston facing you, using your thumb. Push the piston past the threads and then pour approximately 3-4cc’s of a 20-50wt oil (P/N: 85-0022) into the top of the piston. This oil needs to be checked about every 6-8 weeks of riding time. It will dissipate over time and then you may experience some air leakage and increased stiction in the fork movement.
  2. Install the air cap and tighten it to value given on fork schematic.
  3. Turn crown/steer/leg assembly over, so that the bottoms of the inner legs are facing you. In the same leg that you just installed the air piston and air cap into; insert the air push rod (longer end in first), then the positive spring (this is your ride kit spring) onto the short end of the push rod, then install the compression rod assembly, and tighten end cap into leg. Tighten to torque values that are listed on fork schematic.​

Where both sections talk about inserting the air piston, one section follows the other.. also one of them talks of using 40wt oil or greater, the next about 20-50wt.. its almost like different sections were written by different people, who never saw each other's work and then just all mashed together??

Am I the only one that finds this a bit confusing? Obviously I could just follow ONE of the sections but its not clear why its duplicated..
Also in the section on Removal of Outer casing it says in step 4:
Remove crown/steer/inner leg assembly from the outer leg casting.

Then in step 5: Position the bottom of the fork legs over a drain pan that is on the ground. Pull the casting downward towards the pan, allowing the Semi Bath oil in the casting to drip into the pan. Pull the casting completely off of the inner legs and wipe any excess oil off of inner legs and inside of casting.

That one too caused confusion..
Any advice regarding which bits to ignore maybe would be great,
cheers!

Back