Who owns (or has owned) their dream bike?

My current modern rides are my dream 'riders' ('08 SJ FSR w/M975 groupo & S Works Tarmac w/7800 Dura-Ace) but as far as dream retro bikes go, I have numbers 2 & 3 on my list...

Number 2... (Particularly fond of it because it's NOS)
90ACX.jpg

Number 3...
91ACX.jpg

But the elusive number 1 still evades me...
Valkyrie.jpg

Damn you number 1! Damn you!

I've always wanted to get a custom frame built. I guess my Nicolai is custom since I changed a few dimensions on it... but it's not the custom steel or Ti hardtail I promise myself I will one day commission.

I have owned my dream bike but alas for this thread it was not a mountain bike. I remember in 1987 staring at one displayed in the window of edinburgh Bike Co-op thinking one day I will have one of those. I owned a Dawes Galaxy tourer, a very early 70's one, it was the most comfortable bike I've owned and very rugged. I've ridden it off road over highland passes without problems. Sold it one day and have regretted it ever since. :(

i have a new dream bike, an early fat.....

with 4-inch travel bomber Z1's

just because annoying purists floats my boat.

messiah":6bkm21qu said:
I've always wanted to get a custom frame built. I guess my Nicolai is custom since I changed a few dimensions on it... but it's not the custom steel or Ti hardtail I promise myself I will one day commission.

Same, I think that would be the pinnacle of my Bike ownership.

I do own my dream bike in some ways though which is my Hei Hei....brought new back in 1993 so I'm quite attached to it :D

Neil G":d7psgm1n said:
messiah":d7psgm1n said:

Same, I think that would be the pinnacle of my Bike ownership.

I do own my dream bike in some ways though which is my Hei Hei....brought new back in 1993 so I'm quite attached to it :D

I guess my Kona Exlosif is in many ways a "Dream" bike... unfortunately the dreams have mostly been "Nightmares"
:evil:

I bought it IN 1996 when I needed a bike in hurry having broken something else. I was not happy with any Kona as I wanted more tyre clearance, even the beautifull powder blue HOT I tried was no better. Anyway... I got a good deal on A complete Explosif bike and planned to punt the frame on in a few months after ordering my custom frame from probably Fuquay.

Needless to say I dented the top tube on the Kona two weeks later which meant I could never sell her, and hence have been stuck with it forever despite trying my hardest to break her... :twisted: So the reason I never got my custom frame was that F*&^&* Explosif :roll:

Anyway... for many years my Explosif was called the "Ditch Magnet"... even a sideways glance into the undergrowth would see you catapulted into it. Scary twitchy handling which with hindsight was due to the sketchy Manitou Mach 5 forks I had fitted. Once I put the rigid Project two's on and she went SS we have gotten on much better. I did snap a chainstay but it was not enough... I had that fixed so I can continue to try and break her properly. ONE DAY I WILL SUCCEED :twisted:

Shamus":2f1sh8w0 said:
For the retro side...this one...
TeamUsaDiscDrive.jpg

and later ones, this...
eps_redx.jpg

I can say, I own my dream bikes at the moment :D

Shamus, lovin' this Colnago... very cool :cool: Carbon roadie exotica :D

In 2007 I built my dream bike, it was a Van Nicholas Zion titanium, it was covered in loads of extra titanium bits and was really light.... but flexed badly. :x I put up with it for 6 months but suffered a bad case of man-grumps, so I sold the frame and put all the bits on a Kona XC full-sus frame - which is boring but rides really well and has been great fun.

My remaining dream was to have a 1990 Kona Fire Mountain just like I had when I was 13. This is how I got onto RetroBIKE. A virtually un-used example was purchased on eBay for £40, I've spent about £100 upgrading to period XT kit and re-laced the wheels with stainless spokes. For some unknown, inexplicable reason the Kona gives me an ear-to-ear grin no other bike has. Dream fulfilled. :p

Back