When aerodynamics was new...

Loving these, as said it's a great period for innovation :cool: The last photo of the op in particular is just beautiful!

For those interested in Philbrook - the comments on this post (link below) are interesting and feature comments from daughter, son, Jeff Lyons, etc...
https://greenjersey.wordpress.com/2007/ ... philbrook/

Quote from classiclightweight: "Bill could produce wonderful lugless frames that could be made more streamlined as in the time trial frame built for Ian Silvester in 1982, but Griff King-Spooner recalled similar innovations for Tom Smith’s frame a decade earlier with an extraordinary paint job that was ahead of its time. This frame and one made by him for Jeff Lyon can be seen on the Classic Rendezvous website that exemplifies his stunning workmanship and all share the same attention to detail."

Jon, the Philbrook shown in this thread (the one featured on ClassicRendezvous): would that be the 1982 frame built for Ian Silvester or the one built for Tom Smith from a decade earlier?

If I quote Griff King-Spooner from CR: "The first frame that I can recall seeing with Bill's own name on the down tube was our club's time trial champion (Tom Smith/CC Bexley) who had ordered a Bill Philbrook "Special" this was lugless, each oval tube flowed into each other, ultra short wheelbase that you couldn't put a Rizla fag paper between tube and wheel!, Campag. brake calipers with hidden recessed nuts in the rear bridge and back of the fork crown, modified aero brake levers ......where were the cables? these were routed through the bars and inside the top tube (unheard of back then in 1970), this head turner of a bike was finished in a beautiful shimmering metallic Kingfisher blue that faded through various harmonizing shades into gold and burgundy.............. wish I still had a photo!"

Reading this description from the early Philbrook "Special" and seeing the pictures from (the work of art btw) Philbrook "Aero Special" I seriously doubt if that frame is from 1970. Altho I can be terribly wrong... If so, sorry about that.

I guess Jeff Lyon (who apparently still makes frames - http://www.lyonsport.com/ ) or Griff King-Spooner are the ones who can give the conclusive answer.

Thanks for sharing those pictures of the Philbrook by the way - I have to be honest - I had never heard of the good man till today.
Amazing craftsmanship! Ta, Rogier

creindesign":3pcfqbuq said:
For those interested in Philbrook - the comments on this post (link below) are interesting and feature comments from daughter, son, Jeff Lyons, etc...
https://greenjersey.wordpress.com/2007/ ... philbrook/

Quote from classiclightweight: "Bill could produce wonderful lugless frames that could be made more streamlined as in the time trial frame built for Ian Silvester in 1982, but Griff King-Spooner recalled similar innovations for Tom Smith’s frame a decade earlier with an extraordinary paint job that was ahead of its time. This frame and one made by him for Jeff Lyon can be seen on the Classic Rendezvous website that exemplifies his stunning workmanship and all share the same attention to detail."

Jon, the Philbrook shown in this thread (the one featured on ClassicRendezvous): would that be the 1982 frame built for Ian Silvester or the one built for Tom Smith from a decade earlier?

If I quote Griff King-Spooner from CR: "The first frame that I can recall seeing with Bill's own name on the down tube was our club's time trial champion (Tom Smith/CC Bexley) who had ordered a Bill Philbrook "Special" this was lugless, each oval tube flowed into each other, ultra short wheelbase that you couldn't put a Rizla fag paper between tube and wheel!, Campag. brake calipers with hidden recessed nuts in the rear bridge and back of the fork crown, modified aero brake levers ......where were the cables? these were routed through the bars and inside the top tube (unheard of back then in 1970), this head turner of a bike was finished in a beautiful shimmering metallic Kingfisher blue that faded through various harmonizing shades into gold and burgundy.............. wish I still had a photo!"

Reading this description from the early Philbrook "Special" and seeing the pictures from (the work of art btw) Philbrook "Aero Special" I seriously doubt if that frame is from 1970. Altho I can be terribly wrong... If so, sorry about that.

I guess Jeff Lyon (who apparently still makes frames - http://www.lyonsport.com/ ) or Griff King-Spooner are the ones who can give the conclusive answer.

Thanks for sharing those pictures of the Philbrook by the way - I have to be honest - I had never heard of the good man till today.
Amazing craftsmanship! Ta, Rogier

there seems to be some confusion over dates on the discussion......the grey Philbrook shown in the photo is Ian Silvester's 1982 Aero Special which was sold by myself a few years ago, very cutting edge for the day! hope this clears things up

Griff K-S

Excel":om66zd8p said:
there seems to be some confusion over dates on the discussion......the grey Philbrook shown in the photo is Ian Silvester's 1982 Aero Special which was sold by myself a few years ago, very cutting edge for the day! hope this clears things up

Griff K-S

Thanks for clearing that up, Griff. No regrets selling it?

@nob who built that frame (evert??) and those cranks :shock:

Ta, Rogier

Midlife":10udrq52 said:
roadking":10udrq52 said:
Midlife":10udrq52 said:
The kit on it seems to be after 1970?

Shaun

I'm a little surprised at you for that comment Shaun, is this the only frame in the world that doesn't have a full array of period correct components ?

Are all bicycles on RB period correct ?

No and no.

Jon.

Hi Jon

It was just a general comment flagging up that you can't date a frame by what kit is hanging off it :)

Shaun

Just getting grumpy in my old age Shaun,

If I had a pound for every time I'd made a comment along those lines!

Jon.

Re:

Just looking at Nob's picture of that famous machine
Look at the block, hardly seems worth having gears
And the pmp cranks, fascinating, but with no true knowledge of science - proves that cyclists buy anything lol
And what were those clipless pedals? Did they require use of a hand to disengage?

Re: Re:

pigman":lgxyri2v said:
Just looking at Nob's picture of that famous machine
what were those clipless pedals? Did they require use of a hand to disengage?

those are Cinelli M71 clipless pedals favoured by time triallists and track riders where constant braking wasn't essential, you had to reach down to secure or release similar to toe clips and straps,

Griff

Latest posts

Back