When aerodynamics was new...

Re:

Surely you mean 1980... not 1970. He was good but he didn't invent Tange Aero tubing before, well.. Tange did he?!

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

Midlife":27b0j3n0 said:
The kit on it seems to be after 1970?

Shaun

I'm a little surprised at you for that comment Shaun, is this the only frame in the world that doesn't have a full array of period correct components ?

Are all bicycles on RB period correct ?

No and no.

Jon.

I wonder what the tubing is?
I know of a frame builder in New Zealand who didn't have access to aerodynamic bicycle tubing at the beginning of the eighties so he used aero profile steel tubing used in aircraft construction to build some frames

Re:

What is the seat pillar? There surely wasn't an off the shelf oval aero profile seat pillar in 1970 so was this a custom made alloy casting or...?

Peter Kohler
Washington, DC USA

Seat pillar.

Bill Philbrook was well known as an innovator(see the brakes mounted behind the fork crown), that is why he was so highly regarded, and my own Philbrook has a number of innovations not seen in 1975.

Jon.

Re:

Here another pic of the frame. Looks like the seatpost is shrouded in a aero sleeve. Very cool. Had a look at some Philbrook frames online they're full of special details.

Attachments

• 2016-03-08 17.14.19.png
    2016-03-08 17.14.19.png
    90 KB · Views: 464
  • 2016-03-08 17.22.21.png
    2016-03-08 17.22.21.png
    201.1 KB · Views: 458
roadking":2djuqkty said:
Midlife":2djuqkty said:
The kit on it seems to be after 1970?

Shaun

I'm a little surprised at you for that comment Shaun, is this the only frame in the world that doesn't have a full array of period correct components ?

Are all bicycles on RB period correct ?

No and no.

Jon.

Hi Jon

It was just a general comment flagging up that you can't date a frame by what kit is hanging off it :)

Shaun

Latest posts

Back