New Tyre Question - Noise

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
I can’t seem to get all of it back in the tyre! I’m replacing the tyre on the fixed bike on the rollers. The cheap one that was on there has developed some alarming looking gaps and splits. 700x23 is the very widest tyre that will fit on there and I have found an old but unused Vittoria Pro-Team Twin Tread 700x20C tyre in the stash.
Trouble is, the original tube seems to have a circumference larger than what wants to fit in the tyre? New tube?

Additional. I went back to the stash and found a 700x23c tyre. The tube still seemed slightly too long but not as bad. The smaller 20 section tyre made any stretch seem worse I suspect. Crammed it in there and got the tyre back on and have half inflated it.
So far so good.

Rather than start a new thread, I’ve edited this one.

The tyre I fitted was a 700x23c. When I tried it on the rollers I could feel a bump, bump, bump every time the wheel went round. Not good. I went back up the loft and found another cheap tyre this time in 25c flavour. It is the front where you cannot physically fit a tyre larger than 23 under the fork crown so for the rear, this is ok.
Trouble is whilst truly round, it seems noisy to me. It adds a sort of high pitched wail to the sound of the rollers. I don’t want to annoy the neighbour the other side of the wall.
Would a narrow tyre be quieter? Is the very low TPI that is to blame? Will it get less loud once the shine is worn off it?

Any ideas?

What kind of pressure are you running? Contact patch on rollers is much smaller but you're not going to hit something to pinch flat either.

What kind of pressure are you running? Contact patch on rollers is much smaller but you're not going to hit something to pinch flat either.

Just over 100psi I reckon. I think this tyre has slightly more drag than the old one. That was a very cheap 23 as well. It had worn down so much though it was very light! I’ll put a little more in before the next session.

Some months back I noticed the rear tyres of both my road bikes had strange blisters which seemed to have appeared after I'd been using them on an indoor trainer. Right - bought a trainer-specific tyre and built a dedicated wheel for it. I changed out the two rear tyres this week and being a curious git, I dug at one of the blisters with a craft knife and then cut the tyre from edge to edge in a lot of places - the centre of the tread had delaminated from the casing in a strip about 1cm wide around (as far as I could see) the entire tyre. I'll bet that the other blistered tyre is just the same.

I'd try higher and lower also, so many variables, my rollers are aluminium but there's a speed I can't go over as vibration takes over and lots of rubber bits accumulate on the floor. I've often wondered if modern plasticky rollers have a higher friction coefficient and would grip better. With the contact patch being so tiny I'd also try a lower pressure to increase the grip on the roller a bit.

I shall try altering some variables. That is pretty hardcore @fettler ! Going so fast you shred the rubber from the tyres!
I am not that fast. Neither is my balance that good. I have the forks held in a bracket. I tried to do rollers properly back in the first lockdown. I crashed a few times and decided I didn’t want a hospital visit! I rely on leg speed pushing a reasonable gear. I try to keep the cadence above 100.

They tyre never warms up though @jim haseltine

Back