whats best old or new? a semi scientific test.

FluffyChicken":3s4ad710 said:
My opinion, if it was a real race then modern bikes would be faster, all things being equal. Else what is the point in them
:?

I think the point is mainly a very large money cow for the manufacturers, bicycle development is a very slow process, with jumps only really being made when a new riding fad comes along or the occasional new material becoming affordable. The rest is fashion, style and convenience, nothing more.

Downhill amodern full suspension bike would win by quite a margin imo, the suspension designs now are so much more efficient at absorbing the bumps and keeping the bike stable, so you can push harder.

Also brakes are a big factor, if the retro has cantis that is a considerable disadvantage in many situations.

The Ken...

To be honest my newest bike is my 1992 RM Fusion :LOL:

Though I am about to get hold of a modern bike, a 1995 Marin Bear Valley SE. Borrowing it and since it is immaculate and completly original, I'll be able to tell you what they are like and which is faster.

:mrgreen:

hoegaardenadds1":3bnewpkq said:
1 off road loop

2 bikes, one retro one modern

I ride an '10 loop after work most tuesdays. It's a course I know well and I try and better my time most weeks. Although the modern hardtail is quicker, riding retro always gives the bigger smile.

Cheers,
boy" :D "boy

My modern Cannondale rush might be faster but my retro Yo eddie definately feels faster!

In our regular 45km Sunday morning loop is a 3k m stretch of really loose yellow sand. There's eternal glory for the first man at the finish of it, until the next Sunday that is .....

I'm defo faster on my retro full rigid Ti hardtail than the modern full sus 26"

I reckon that my most modern bike, a 29er full sus is faster still

generally I'm much quicker in the later stages of the 45km loop on any of my (modern) full sus bike as the retro rides simply wear me out quicker. And to me that is not necessarily good or bad, just different.

Enjoy!!

Modern.. almost a stupid question really, 10 years on if a modern bike where less efficient then a retro bike then the state of the mountain bike industry would be a laugh. In my experience the difference since 2003 is incredible.. anybody who thinks different should demo a new full susser.. you won't look back. Retro bikes are cool, but for every day riding, the modern bike will win every time! :roll: ;)

my modern Trailstar is hard work on the uphills due to it's weight, about 35lbs or so but its awesome for ripping the trails in the woods and stuff... and wicked for abit of downhill... I fitted rigid forks to my Saracen now and it flies up the hills but the decents knacker me abit and i've found sections that i can plough through on the Trailstar take alot more thought and finesse on the Saracen

Latest posts

Back