Old v new - BBs & chains - what do you use?

What type of BBs & chain do you use on retro builds?

• I prefer original period correct

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I prefer fancy new stock

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I use UN300 & HG71

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • other - see my comment

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I try get hold of un55 still

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Good to know and you never find the old cassettes or old bottom brackets ever give you any grief even if half well used ?
I'd buy NOS if it's a relatively sensible price, but I have bought both used BBs and cassettes.
With Shimano BBs you do have to put a bit of trust in the seller, but I think most (unfortunately not all) people won't try to sell a completely f****d BB. If it is clean and rust free on the outside, described as good and the price is right, I'll take a punt.
I've not had a dud yet.
Other BBs like Raceface, Royce and a lovely Tange one I bought recently have replaceable bearings so if nothing else looks damaged they're easily refreshed.
With cassettes I look hard at pictures to decide how worn they are and always try to keep the price low so if it is a dud, I don't lose too much cash. I see absolutely knackered cassettes at work on an almost daily basis so have a fairly good idea of what to look for. So far I've not bought one that hasn't worked with a new chain.
I've also paid out for NOS m900 and 737 in the past, a fair chunk of money, but peace of mind, it's definitely going to work nicely with a new chain.
It's also still reasonable money compared to the 12 speed XTR cassette on my newest bike! That was bloody ridiculous, but again, I'm an idiot, if I'm having XTR I want full XTR. 👍 😁

Last edited:
I'd buy NOS if it's a relatively sensible price, but I have bought both used BBs and cassettes.
With Shimano BBs you do have to put a bit of trust in the seller, but I think most (unfortunately not all) people won't try to sell a completely f****d BB. If it is clean and rust free on the outside, described as good and the price is right, I'll take a punt.
I've not had a dud yet.
Other BBs like Raceface, Royce and a lovely Tange one I bought recently have replaceable bearings so if nothing else looks damaged they're easily refreshed.
With cassettes I look hard at pictures to decide how worn they are and always try to keep the price low so if it is a dud, I don't lose too much cash. I see absolutely knackered cassettes at work on a almost daily basis so have a fairly good idea of what to look for. So far I've not bought one that hasn't worked with a new chain.
I've also paid out for NOS m900 and 737 in the past, a fair chunk of money, but piece of mind, it's definitely going to work nicely with a new chain.
It's also still reasonable money compared to the 12 speed XTR cassette on my newest bike! That was bloody ridiculous, but again, I'm an idiot, if I'm having XTR I want full XTR. 👍 😁
That’s really helpful. I feel like I try to do the same thing. But next time I see an m900 cassette I might ask you to take a glance at it.

I only build to ride, so I’m happy with the modern equivalent for cassette and chain. Old square taper bb tend to last forever and are usually fine from here or eBay.
Rest of parts I like roughly period correct but not bothered about NOS, as long as they aren’t completely scabby.
Happy to go a generation ahead parts wise, as this is what would have happened originally as I like a bit of upgraditis. Don’t like to go back a generation though, except for 7 speed thumb shifter as the original generation STI shifter were pants. By 8 speed they’d sorted them and I always find them better than trying to utilise the hidden click.

Have always fancied a proper resto mod build with modern parts but I’ve more than enough bikes at the moment.

I am a lover of old style cup and cone "adjustable" square taper bottom brackets. Only downside is not having the right removal tool for a given design. I do thus tend to go for the shimano style splined cups to keep everything simple. I like to be able to fix anything simply rather than chuck an entire cartridge with a bit of play or annoying noise etc Also tend toward steel BB components as hard wearing. Fit these old school BB's to everything old or new. I like to stick to a tried and tested system. Any make of chains or cassettes considered as they will be consumed as long as price is right ie. low😁

Back