Old v new - BBs & chains - what do you use?

What type of BBs & chain do you use on retro builds?

• I prefer original period correct

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I prefer fancy new stock

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I use UN300 & HG71

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • other - see my comment

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I try get hold of un55 still

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Joe*Pro

Senior Retro Guru
I wonder what others thoughts/experience are when using old bottom brackets or old chains v new ones on retro builds. Even maybe also with old cassettes.

It feels like the one set of parts to me that old stock can be a bit too hit or miss and just isn’t worth considering if you want to use the retro build every other weekend or so.

My last two builds of 1994 & 1995 bikes I’ve opted for UN300 BBs & HG71 chains, as what I understand are the current best equivalents still being manufactured. Whilst I went with used M900 cassettes, but am tempted to switch to a modern equivalent cassette. (I’ve the option of a NOS/NIB m900 but it was £150 !!)

My worry with even NOS for those consumables in particular is not just the crazy cost for somthing you can’t even see, but the reliability, corrosion, fit, size options, so wondering what you all prefer to do generally? And If you do use modern equivalents, what do you use and why ?

Last edited:
Depends on the build goal. Some like catalogue spec so chase that, some like me don't and use whatever works and is available. I'm not even that fussed about period correctness, just use what I want to make the bike as cool and bling as possible. Chains and cassettes are consumables that I buy new equivalents, BBS are mostly hidden anyway so go for decent modern to suit the crank.

Ive never gone back to cup and cone. I enjoy the simplicity of cartridge bbs.
Un71/2. Are my target items. If i come across a decent un 51/2/3, on a build i will pop it back in. I wouldnt have un55 given. Always seem weighty and tight. Jus' me.

Cassettes and chains? Im easily pleased with sram 7, 8 or 9 speed. I love the powerlink system and have never experienced a breakdown.
Sram 850 upwards seem nicely made and affordable. You see, you get the modern tech cut outs on the cassette teeth without the whole thing looking wild.

It's probably a bit stupid but I tend to match the BB to the crank if possible, so M900/UN-91. M730/UN-71, M739/UN-72, Turbine/Taperlock etc although a good UN5# or 7# is fine in general. I do have a Royce in one bike, just because it's a nice thing to own!
Same with cassettes, if I'm using, say, M737 mechs I'll try to find a decent M737 cassette.
For some reason though, I'm not the same with chains, generally defaulting to a HG-71 or KMC if I don't want Shimano on a build.

It's probably a bit stupid but I tend to match the BB to the crank if possible, so M900/UN-91. M730/UN-71, M739/UN-72, Turbine/Taperlock etc although a good UN5# or 7# is fine in general. I do have a Royce in one bike, just because it's a nice thing to own!
Same with cassettes, if I'm using, say, M737 mechs I'll try to find a decent M737 cassette.
For some reason though, I'm not the same with chains, generally defaulting to a HG-71 or KMC if I don't want Shimano on a build.
Good to know and you never find the old cassettes or old bottom brackets ever give you any grief even if half well used ?

I've never had any problem with modern cheapo BB's. Fanciest I've got in one of my bikes is a Token and it looks fancy but.. it's virtually no different in performance than a UN300. I put a lot of torque into my drive train at 300 pounds but I've never had a BB fail or wear excessively fast.

Back