Build up my old polished Dyna Tech Torus frameset..... what with?

Nice But Dim

Dirt Disciple
Hi all.... I have just joined the forum and looking at some of the amazing bikes you guys have. This has made my mind up that I should rebuild my old race frame which is a 19" Torus frames approx 1995, it has the Dyna Tech head tube badge which I believe the later ones did. Sadly all the parts have long gone, they were attached to my Steel Rocky Mt Fusion that unfortunately was killed by a van making it unsalvageable.....

I am thinking of doing a semi modern rebuild, carbon disk forks, Sram or GRX groupo and I know I shouldn't but maybe flared drops......

My question is, should I go modern or should I go full retro? I live in sth Devon and it will only be used on gravel or off road..... roads are to bloody dangerous.

TIA

Your bike, so whatever floats your boat and gets it ridden. I have one myself, I've built it up using more modern parts than of its era, went m952 9x3 xtr, original tb cromo forks (though have had pace rc38s and rc31s on it), hope hubs, stem and other bits in blue, blue Middleburn cranks and blue controltech bars. Looks and rides sweet.

Other retro bikes I own I tend to give the restomod treatment to some degree. My team RTS has 32mm Sid's and m952, my 93dbr axis TT has m952 and one day I will build up another RTS that I've had a disc conversion done on.

To me the soul of the bike is the frame, the kit you out on it is what you like and what makes it right for you.

Unless you are into catalogue builds.

Try both and see which way you prefer?
If you buy used retro parts you should be able to recover the majority of the cost if you don't like it that way.

Also are you building purely for riding or do you want some degree of nostalgia when you see / work on / ride it?

Either way, it sounds really sensible to get a great frame riding again - have fun!

Your bike, so whatever floats your boat and gets it ridden. I have one myself, I've built it up using more modern parts than of its era, went m952 9x3 xtr, original tb cromo forks (though have had pace rc38s and rc31s on it), hope hubs, stem and other bits in blue, blue Middleburn cranks and blue controltech bars. Looks and rides sweet.

Other retro bikes I own I tend to give the restomod treatment to some degree. My team RTS has 32mm Sid's and m952, my 93dbr axis TT has m952 and one day I will build up another RTS that I've had a disc conversion done on.

To me the soul of the bike is the frame, the kit you out on it is what you like and what makes it right for you.

Unless you are into catalogue builds.
Thanks for the encouragement Isham. I am going to go retromod MTB I think 🤔 thinking of going 9 speed XT it's a 94 frame E serial no, still have the XT 7 speed front mech so am on the search for shifters etc..... Will post a picture up when I have worked out how..... been a while since I've been on a forum 🤣

Try both and see which way you prefer?
If you buy used retro parts you should be able to recover the majority of the cost if you don't like it that way.

Also are you building purely for riding or do you want some degree of nostalgia when you see / work on / ride it?

Either way, it sounds really sensible to get a great frame riding again - have fun!
Thanks Lucidone good advice but I am now thinking back to 26" MTB as that is what it is.

It will be all of those - nostalgia, riding it and building it back up..... thinking XT M751 cranks 3 x 8 spd or 9 if I can find the shifters.....

Thanks for the encouragement Isham. I am going to go retromod MTB I think 🤔 thinking of going 9 speed XT it's a 94 frame E serial no, still have the XT 7 speed front mech so am on the search for shifters etc..... Will post a picture up when I have worked out how..... been a while since I've been on a forum 🤣
Hi I have this Titanium stem think it’s for torus bikes its like the one in the photo painted blue but this is titanium not chromo. it is 1.1/8th and 135mm for a larger frame. the stem would need a good polish lol but I’m happy to sell it if you if you wanted a matching stem to match your frame

Attachments

• D896F402-7570-4627-98EC-0EB94F2A7BC0.jpeg
    D896F402-7570-4627-98EC-0EB94F2A7BC0.jpeg
    639.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 61DA5821-42F1-420B-81A4-F9DD8FB3C0C3.png
    61DA5821-42F1-420B-81A4-F9DD8FB3C0C3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Hi I have this Titanium stem think it’s for torus bikes its like the one in the photo painted blue but this is titanium not chromo. it is 1.1/8th and 135mm for a larger frame. the stem would need a good polish lol but I’m happy to sell it if you if you wanted a matching stem to match your frame
Hi Racer X how much would you want for it? Was it painted at one time?

Hi Racer X how much would you want for it? Was it painted at one time?
Hi no it’s unfinished never been painted. Think Raleigh would have finished the by sand blasting them or polishing depending on frame finish of the Torus frames. Most of the painted ones was chromo steel

Back