What have I rescued? Motobecane Team Champion

Re:

Nice find. Nothing much to add really, but if you expect to ride that in L'Eroica you will need to swap out those aero brake levers for old school non-aero ones.

Ok so i recon this can carry on as the restoration thread for this bike so heres the first update.

Chrome has some rust but brasso experiments have given a lovely lustre, the paint is generally good but a little flakey in places, i figure a bike of this age should have a few wrinkles by now anyway so thats fine.

The bad- upon stripping the components one pedal, the stem and seatpost are not budging. I've liberally doused the areas in penetrating oil, and waiting for someone stronger than me to have a wrestle.

Would there be any interest in seeing progress pics? I plan on cleaning and re-greasing everything at the mo and just get it running with non-period spares until i have some money, but atm all i need to purchase is a chain and new cabling.

I just keep getting more and more excited about this machine!

Ok so updates.

Today I managed to strip off the fd, shifters, brakes and seat tube.
Had a good old clean of all the chrome, including shifting most of the rust
gave a semi deep clean to the wheels, needs a little more work to get to where I would like to be. unfortunately there has been some sort of corrosive spill on the rear at some point, and the lacquer has suffered as a result. the wheels have come up gorgeous otherwise.
The stem is well and truly wedged in. upon flipping the frame to try to get penetrating oil in, discovered a massive peg of wood blocking access to the inside of the steerer. gonna have to figure something out here. Research says the wood came stock, i have no idea how deep it goes in. troublesome. ideas? have tried all sorts but thinking drilling out might be the last and only resort here.
I don't have anything that fits in the small space allowed for a socket in the crank arms to get the bolts out, so they're staying put for now. This is only really a pain for cleaning properly, as the bb is buttery and smooth as hell, so just more toothbrush scrubbing i suppose.

What I now know;
The bike would have most likely started out as a 82-83 Team Champion stock bike.
All but the shifters, fd, brakes and stem are different from stock
Those hubs are beautiful, and very very very smooth. the front wheel rests at tube valve down every time.
I have a theory this was used for fast racing, maybe the odd criterium or tt, based on lightweight components and serious lack of range on the freewheel cassette.

Picture updates to follow tomorrow!

"The bad- upon stripping the components one pedal, the stem and seatpost are not budging. I've liberally doused the areas in penetrating oil, and waiting for someone stronger than me to have a wrestle."

if the stuck pedal is the non driveside one then remember that it has a left hand thread and unscrews the opposite way....

Griff

Excel":3d64ad78 said:
"The bad- upon stripping the components one pedal, the stem and seatpost are not budging. I've liberally doused the areas in penetrating oil, and waiting for someone stronger than me to have a wrestle."

if the stuck pedal is the non driveside one then remember that it has a left hand thread and unscrews the opposite way....

Griff

A i suspected the pedal had gotten well and truly jammed in the crank, it took me standing on a pedal wrench to get it off! Seatpost came out with a bit of sweat, but the stem is still being tricky.

It irks me that the clamp part of the septets is missing, i have a non original clamp that fits that will work for now, but its going to be hard to find just the top pieces i need to keep it campy!

Photos probably coming today, if the sun decides to come out, because chrome.

She's alive!

Click this to go and see what I have managed over two days in the garden ->http://imgur.com/a/jK5RQ

Took her out for a couple of miles, and she rides really nicely. smooth. Needs some adjustment and component changes but I have no disposable monies so for the moment she's running with what i had laying about.

When i have money;

Change out that rear derailleur for something more period.
Change the cassette to something with more range and a higher gear count.
White handlebar tape and white turbo saddle, find a replacement clamp for the seat post.
Fit some decent tanwall road tires.
Give it a final polish and get it up to showroom quality, Its gotta be good enough to hang on a wall.

For now, a few tweaks then ride ride ride!

Wow that has come up looking superb. You have done a really great job bringing this back and also for saving it from the crusher :)
From the skip or showroom I really like the look of this machine.
Now for the ride report :)

Jamie

Back