really need help i have no idea - dads raleigh record ace 1989

noclue

Retro Newbie
i dont even know where to start - my dad passed away and had a rayleigh record ace road bike 1989 in really good nic but i know nothing at all about bikes - he kept a log of every single component from gears to brakes to chainset and fork ends whatever that lot is in a book that i have

anyway its taking room in my garage and i want to sell - i dont understand what refurbished means - in terms of how much work does this entiai what does it cost and is it even worth bothering - i can replace tyres and inner tubes and clean it up but anything more than that is not for me

any honest genuine views on what you would do????

arghhhhhhh

Post some pictures. Condition and group set etc. size is also a factor as more extreme sizes will have less interest. There are lots of helpful sorts on here.

Sorry for your loss is the first thing.

Second is don’t worry, we will help you through the minefield that is bikes and gears and whatever.

First thing to do is to perform checks on the bike, pump the tyres up, see if they hold air. Do the gears shift alright? Are the rims true?(by that I mean do they wobble for side to side when you spin them?) are brake pads adequate, are the hubs smooth?

And as THM has said above pictures will be great and will help in valuation/guidance.

We are a very helpful bunch and will be happy to guide you through this.

(I Like your username “no clue”…)

I’m guessing you have something like this: a 1989 Raleigh record ace moderne with Reynolds 653 tubing and a Sante groupset.

FFCE37FB-2307-4CE0-B9B8-B2D3840330AF.jpeg 90A652A2-BF90-46FA-B657-834732627AAC.jpeg

@KondratievsBike is actually selling a bike with the same groupset so you can ask him for info.

thanks so much i wasnt even sure i would ever get a reply let alone relies that quick i will get photos btu in advance ive looked through his book and it means nothing but....here goes....
Raleigh record ace 531c
size 22 1/2
hubs spidel normandy competition
rims weidmann alloy 27 x 1.25
gears camangnolo gran sport 14-28 block
chainset - raleigh super custom 52-42
chain ARR
freewheel (replaced) to a suntour new winner 13/15/17/20/24/28
brakes weinmann side pull
handlebars sakae custom road champion
stem raleigh 8355 k81
fork ends suntour

he even listed his bloody water bottle jeeeez and if anyones interested is was peugeot :)

sorry it also might not be 1989 im tryin to work that out but he started his book listing components in 1989 and this was the first bike entered

The good news is that these days bikes like your dad's will find a good home - and you've come to right place; plenty of people on here know Raleighs back-to-front.

From the parts you've listed, it's definitely a fair bit older than 1989. Like others have said, post up a few decent photos and I'm sure you'll have some answers to help you out very soon. Best of luck with everything (and not just the bike, but in general).

Last edited:
Back