Inherited bikes - what are they and what are they worth?

Advice seeker

Retro Newbie
Hi all, new here.
I've been told this might be a great place to get some advice.

I inherited some bikes and am looking to sell them but have little idea as to value or what the specific models/years are.

As well as 3 Bromptons in good condition, a Santa Cruz frame with Marzocchi Bomber forks, some Cannondale frames, a titanium Merlin, and a Kona, there are some road bikes too.

A Claud Butler, a Dawes Audax Giro, and a Creme.

Anyone have any ideas what these may be worth and the best place to sell them? Family member who knows more about bikes than me thinks ebay is best bet.

Anyone have any ideas?
Any help appreciated. Images below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230429_112533.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429_112533.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_20230429_112612.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429_112612.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20230429_112635.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429_112635.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_20230429_112727.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429_112727.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 101
It’s fair to say that while the issue is hopefully many decades away for me I do sometimes think what would I want to happen to my bikes!

EBay is the best place to get the most money I guess but you would need to offer postage to get the most return. I guess it also depends on what you want out of it. Personally if they were mine I’d want the person/people to get as much cash as possible, some would just want them to go to enthusiasts and be used again. Usually splitting the components from the bike maximises your return but that’s more work more auctions etc.

I’ve seen some of these bikes already on eBay I think - you’ve got one I posted over in the MTB forum that I wasn’t sure if it’s titanium or aluminium.

There’s more traffic over that side of the forum so you may get more answers.

On a forum you’ll get low ball answers from people that want to buy the bikes and think that they’ll get a bargain and you’ll get ridiculously high valuations from people that own similar bikes already and hope that theirs are worth the same.

Stick em on eBay and you’ll get a fair market price.

On a forum you’ll get low ball answers from people that want to buy the bikes and think that they’ll get a bargain and you’ll get ridiculously high valuations from people that own similar bikes already and hope that theirs are worth the same.

I think he already has. The ti bikes and delta v’s are already in the watch section.

Or ride them

So much of a family's past ends up on ebay, where it is lost to future generations. If you have a cellar or a loft its easy to stick them away until the right time comes along, and the way things are going, personal transport that doesn't rely on fossil fuels is becoming the norm

Bikes today, or the quality you have there are expensive, and may even be lesser. What are they worth ?, very little and you could easily compare what you'd get to a similar price piece of tat from halfords that in no way competes.

Sorry for your loss. Quite a selection there, must have been a lover of bicycles, with such an extensive taste. Are you not going to keep any of them?
Sounds like the family member that knows more about bikes possibly could help you with pricing, might be nice to get family involved anyway when dealing with something like this. Did your relative not have any wishes as to what should happen to their collection there?

Sorry for your loss. Quite a selection there, must have been a lover of bicycles, with such an extensive taste. Are you not going to keep any of them?
Sounds like the family member that knows more about bikes possibly could help you with pricing, might be nice to get family involved anyway when dealing with something like this. Did your relative not have any wishes as to what should happen to their collection there?
Thank you, you're right he did love his bicycles, sadly I don't know what he wanted to happen with them though.
I have one he built especially for me from bits he had, which is a very lightweight mountain bike with good quality parts, and was in his opinion '10x more bike than I need'. 😁
I'll keep that one, because he built it for me.

Thank you, you're right he did love his bicycles, sadly I don't know what he wanted to happen with them though.
I have one he built especially for me from bits he had, which is a very lightweight mountain bike with good quality parts, and was in his opinion '10x more bike than I need'. 😁
I'll keep that one, because he built it for me.
Yeah, that is nice, would be a shame to let that one go. Still there's some nice bits there and I mean you've found your way unto here, perhaps this is a sign that you should get into wrenching on bikes ;)?

Anyway, I hope you figure out what to do with them. To get a proper evaluation it's best to take several photos of each bicycle and have people take a look. As mentioned earlier by Russell, on enthusiast forums, like RB, the evaluation will be lower than what you could get on eBay and Marketplace.

I still think it's worth keeping a few of them.

You could always share the one he specifically build for you on RB, might be a nice way to appreciate him and we always love looking at a bicycle or two or three, especially ones with a bit of a story behind it.

EBay is the best place to get the most money I guess but you would need to offer postage to get the most return. I guess it also depends on what you want out of it. Personally if they were mine I’d want the person/people to get as much cash as possible, some would just want them to go to enthusiasts and be used again. Usually splitting the components from the bike maximises your return but that’s more work more auctions etc.

I'll be happy if they go to someone who will appreciate and maybe get some use out of them. I don't think any of the collection are truly valuable based on feedback here and elsewhere, which is the main thing I wanted to rule out.

That's a valid point, and one I've considered. 😁
Or ride them

So much of a family's past ends up on ebay, where it is lost to future generations. If you have a cellar or a loft its easy to stick them away until the right time comes along, and the way things are going, personal transport that doesn't rely on fossil fuels is becoming the norm

Bikes today, or the quality you have there are expensive, and may even be lesser. What are they worth ?, very little and you could easily compare what you'd get to a similar price piece of tat from halfords that in no way competes.
I don't have the space for more than 1 or 2 bicycles I'm afraid otherwise I'd certainly consider keeping them.

Back