What clear coat would you recommend?

SprayMax 2k rattle-can. Best out there! Make sure to shake it very well at least 2 minutes and finish your job within 5 Minutes!

but this is expoxy resin 2k clear coat , not ceramic coat right ? don't want to apply new clear coat, that's difficult in experience, and will loose patina in my opinion. that's what I'm trying to preseve with ceramic or wax ultimately

Thanks for the feedback I understand problem can be to apply evenly on larger surfaces, but on a steel bike maybe it is easy ? I 've used carnuba wax based for a long time with very good results, although not very durable and also not fully rust protector on chips to bare metal. I'm fascinated with the brightness I could get from ceramic coating, and also rust protector (I've deep paint chips) ... I know a car detailing shop I've visited several times, I'll ask for their advice and maybe do some test, we'll see! Thanks again.
no, it would be even worse on the smaller areas of a frame for application, if not buffed off it isn't durable as the layer is to thick. do not apply it to anything but nice smooth paint, it will not work, it is not a clear coat, it will not prevent rust, it has an etchent which bonds with plastics in the paint so putting it over bear steel or rust is pretty pointless and will lead to a weak coating. you will not get an "brightness" from it, it is just a micron thick chemically bonded coating that is hydrophobic, at least wax doesn't etch the surface and can be removed with light mechanical methods or suitable solvents.

ask your detailing shop, but remember they are applying it to nice shiney, machine polished paint, if they are applying it to anything else they aren't using it correctly.

your frame though, so crack on but I don't see it as worth it for the cost of a good one (the 11 quid stuff from amazon is so packed with nasty chemicals that it's borderline dangerous).

We have a campervan that needed a new pop-up roof under warranty. To cut a very long & painful story short we have had x3 roofs since and been without the vehicle for 3/4 of a year and it's still not right. Why is this relevant...

As part of the compensation package we got offered a ceramic coat for our camper. But the more we looked into it, the more questions we had, plus you get tied into a 6 months maintenance plan. It it just not worth the money IMHO, so we decided just to clean it more often... but I'm not sure we have! 🤣

The surface of a car is so different to a bike, plus to clean properly prior to application would be an absolute nightmare to get right. Carnauba wax or something similar every time! 💪

Last edited:
Just tried this spray wax today.

Results were similar IMO to the regular wax I have (Dooyo with little carnuba) but much easier to apply. Important to wipe off excess before gets dry otherwise takes a lot of time with the microfiber to remove it.

I guess the key to get better results is to use a rubbing compound before wax to get more shine but I was afraid in my case as there are old decals and condition is already fair to me.

Happy not gone with the ceramic coating, can't imagine how to remove excess!!! Thanks for the advice again.

Attachments

• IMG_20230701_201836.jpg
    IMG_20230701_201836.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 0
Back