Polishing clear-coated aluminium parts

Errrrrr.....hang on.....ive got cranks ive polished in 1993.....still used, still intact, still not pitted, still looks good.

Yes, you remove some of their protection, but that micro thin layer wont stop them getting dented, rubbed through with you heal or stop stone chips and physical damage.

To be frank, as several said above.....of course if the coating is in good order leave it alone.....but most of the polished parts you see are at a minimum worn through the coating and most trashed by use. Plus there often just aren't the parts in good order available....too old, too rare.....too costly. If buying NOS parts isn't an issue....more power to you, and im sure thats a lovely position to be in, but I buy cheap and repair......

So when i see a polished part, i think "nice work....something else that not been chucked away for no real reason" Also, i think it shows some dedication to the build.

Honestly a wipe of an oily rag ever year has hardly high maintenance and the restoration results speak for themselves.

But hey! That's just my humble opinion......and everybody has one of those. 20220525_163845.jpg 20220701_104733.jpg

And if your super worried about protecting that finish, just wipe this stuff over once a year......made for the aircraft industry....but works exceedingly well on lesser machines too.

Job done.

16717029866777604963010708687873.jpg

Thinking of buying a polishing wheel (the 2 wheel grinder type on each side)
Now I just use waterproof sandpaper and autosol and elbowgrease, does anyone use any kind of machine and if so what type.

Reactions: enc
I use automotive wax after polishing. Prevents the metal to get dull too fast. Has to be freshend up each spring though.

Thinking of buying a polishing wheel (the 2 wheel grinder type on each side)
Now I just use waterproof sandpaper and autosol and elbowgrease, does anyone use any kind of machine and if so what type.
Yes I bought one last year. Used it once and swiftly returned to my preferred method… hand sand with wet n dry /wire wool. Dremmel tool and hand polish to refine , seal with auto products.

Back