What bike to restore?

Re:

If you're doing this to practice your mechanical skills, pretty much anything from pre-1980s would be interesting. Before indexing and so on, the basic technology was pretty similar across all bikes so if you can learn to set up a Huret Eco you can set up a Campag Super Record.

For re-selling, bikes that appeal to students are a good idea. The easiest re-sells I did were doing up fairly basic bikes and then selling them on to students who aren't too fussy about what they want. Again, it's a good way to practice your basic skills.

Selling proper collectible bikes is a more difficult proposition because you're trying to find that one person who wants that particular brand of bike in a particular size and colour... Also, a lot of people are looking to buy bikes to restore themselves. The market for fully restored bikes is more limited, I find.

The generic big names are easier to sell, but also dearer to buy in the first place: Raleigh, Bianchi, Carlton, Colnago, Peugeot, that sort of thing...

+ 3 dealers here,id pm them to keep an eye out .see if anything interesting crops up. biggs ,tel and that
otrher chap who has 120 bikes . dealers are easy to find on ebay because of their other items.
id bide m time [try and save a bit] you might even get a 653 or 753 for a little more than a 531.
othr forum classifieds are worth a look too.cycle jumbles not as good as they were but you never know.
this forum amazes me of the bargains people find..like that moser columbus max recently.

I have a decent white Peugeot racer, needs work like a general 'over-all' - new cables - new tyres.

The bike has decent stuff on it Shimano/Mavic twin bottle cage boss's, not a bad bike.

What size frame do you ride ? Not measured that bike yet, it was a project to get back on the road but never happened.

Wouldn't want mega bucks for it, can take some photo's if you are interested and being as you are in Nottingham you could maybe pick up.

Back