audax’s and long distance. But should I do them on a period bike?

sefton1275gt

Dirt Disciple
After a summer of regular all day riding I would like to try some long distance audax events next year.

I have a carbon road bike but I have an inch for something older. Possibly from the 80’s or 90’s.

Something like a fast tourer or road bike that could take guards and maybe 28mm tyres. I guess I could clip guards on but they’re not ideal.

I have a Dawes galaxy but unloaded it’s a little dead to ride. So I don’t want anything like that

Has anyone got any ideas / suggestions?

Last edited:
What brake type nut or recessed, what wheel size, steel, rack mounts, quill, ahead, how many speeds? Rear spacing in an 80s bike is likely to be 126mm so limited to 7 speed.

Loads of 531c frames out there - it's a 30 min job to respace the frame. If it originally took 27" wheels it will give loads of space for mudguards. I have a Witcomb exactly like that - it is sprightly to ride but comfortable over long distances. I run it with late 90's Campag 9 speed.

Loads of 531c frames out there - it's a 30 min job to respace the frame. If it originally took 27" wheels it will give loads of space for mudguards. I have a Witcomb exactly like that - it is sprightly to ride but comfortable over long distances. I run it with late 90's Campag 9 speed.
Very true, remember though mate not everyone has the capability to re space a frame. No offence to op :) Your Witcomb is very nice.

Quick search for Dawes Audax.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Agreed, but decent* bike shops would be able to do it.

*The sort who won't laugh at you if your bike is over 3 years old and isn't carbon.
can I respace a carbon bike?
only one way to find out
creak, creak, creak, CRACK.

er, it's now universal spacing. :)

no real advice on a decent frame that GIGFY hasn't already given, I'd hate to ride an audax on an old bike (pre 90s), but then, I'd hate to ride an audax full stop so what do I know. :)

I always try to think like this:

1 did people ride this particular type of event in the past - does the current event present the same challenge?
2 what type of experience did they have - from miserable to enjoyable
3 what performance outcome am I looking for - from I was there to first in class

for us in DH

1 the courses are just WAY more technical than in the early 2000s, it’s a different league of demand
2 it was terrifying back then even on less demanding courses
3 I’d like to remain uninjured please - just getting down is a plus

On that basis, we use the latest DH bikes with latest rubber. I did one course walk in the Alps this summer and there was no way I would do it on a 26 wheeled bike. A large three metre slab then an immediate 1.5 metre drop that you can’t roll, followed swiftly by a third 1 metre drop. No way am I doing that on anything apart from a full 200mm DH 27.5 or mullet bike, or contemporary 160-170 travel enduro bike.

For Audax I think it’s a different story

1 Audax began in Italy in the 1890s. It‘s current form has existed for ages.
2 Audax is hard. But some people do it on fixies (!) … that’s hard.
3 Aim is to finish in time window. Nice.

So contrary to DH, which I would not do on a 1990s bike, I think the answers to these questions for Audax means that it’s fine to do it on a vintage or veteran bike. It will be harder, less comfortable, more demanding*. But doable. And if you aren’t worried about your specific time, then you’ll get in the window fine.

*indeed later posts do say that modern bikes set up more for speed than comfort. Agreed. Bike fit is all important over longer distances and big ring hours-long hauling. Lower back dynamics and palm pressure vital to be right. I have never done an Audax but I know someone who has done more of them than he cares to remember. He enjoys Suffering and has many many tales of nighttime agonies and mad co-incidences. Oh…and he’s obsessed about lights.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCS
Back