audax’s and long distance. But should I do them on a period bike?

It will be harder, less comfortable, more demanding. But doable. And if you aren’t worried about your specific time, then you’ll get in the window fine.
I'd beg to differ. Many current road bikes are racing machines where comfort is sacrificed for speed. Fast steering is lovely on dry tarmac in daylight - but a totally different thing when you are tired and it's dark.

Those last two posts. Any steel frame with mudguard clearances and some way of carrying supplies (like a saddlebag or a rack) and you'll be well away. It's all about a comfortable position and gearing suited to both your distance and climbing ability - and by that I mean while sitting in the saddle because you might be able to crest a climb whilst fresh but after 20 hours in rain it's a different matter.

this has ton a far few long hauls, ton plus, never really set a problem.
it has also be pushed up some climbs at the 90 mile mark because I couldn't get it up no more (hehe).

certainly not what most would choose to do it on, but it's dependable and, with minor tweaks, comfortable over decent distances (stem flip being one of the must do's).

pictured here without it's mud guards, stem was raised a spacer because I was on a 50 mile roll round the Isle of Wight).

oh and comment about not doing an Audax, simply because I don't do organised events, I don't see the point of paying to ride on a public road and it's way more fun to do without support. :)

none of this is helping the OP. sorry for the thread drift.

coyote.jpg

Back