Vintage tracker Frankenbike tribute build

The fork has been removed from the phosphoric acid and the coating of iron phosphate has been wire brushed off, along with any remaining rust. Then, Ospho was applied and allowed to dry. IMG_4427.jpeg
The fork was then coated with Penetrol, a drying oil with penetrant and chemically modified linseed and soy oil. IMG_4428.jpeg IMG_4429.jpeg
After the Penetrol dries the fork can be painted. There is still a little chrome on the part of the springer that is active. The dried Penetrol coating allows paint to stick to almost anything, including glass.

I don’t think the original springs are up to further use. They’re deeply rusted. IMG_4469.jpeg I welded up some jury rigged mounts and used an auto cycle spring instead of the originals. No kidding, this springer fork seems to weigh as much as an all carbon bike. All this for a lot of extra weight and 30mm of travel. IMG_4471.jpeg
The original guys homemade trackers had auto cycle forks that looked like they weighed as much as mine so I guess this tribute will keep the spirit alive, or I hope it does. IMG_3335.jpeg
IMG_4472.jpeg
IMG_2991.jpeg

Last edited:
Whenever you try and do something that’s not supposed to be done you run into problems. Like the axel is too big to fit in the drops.
IMG_4483.jpeg
A file fixed this but it took many thousands of to and frow to get it done. File only the bottom for several hundred strokes, reverse the file and start again, otherwise it might not be even. IMG_4484.jpeg
Example of something that’s not normal, a jam nut on a front drum brake so the brake arm can be free to rotate when the springer fork moves.
It works, at least for now. IMG_4489.jpeg
Works, at least for now.
IMG_4490.jpeg IMG_4491.jpeg
I got ahead of myself. Now the frame drum brake brace is in the way of the clamp. Looks like I need to do more welding. IMG_4492.jpeg

Last edited:
No one locally or nationally on line has Sharpie fine tip enamel paint pens. I’m forced to use permanent markers, which don’t give the rich colors. Besides, you can’t correct my shaky lines with permanent markers. And you can’t clear over markers as the colors bleed. Nuts. IMG_4478.jpeg IMG_4479.jpeg IMG_4494.jpeg
I think I’ll paint it solid brass and leave it at that.

Oh man, Frank is RAD!! You know they'd love that at the rat forum
It’s made out of pewter by a First Nation guy on Vancouver Island. It’s beautiful. I can’t post anything on RRB as it disappears, is out of order or it takes 5 seconds for each typed character to appear.

I can’t post anything on RRB as it disappears, is out of order or it takes 5 seconds for each typed character to appear.
I remember you saying that. Another user was having some issues recently too. Their text was disappearing as well. I suggested to them to try composing the post elsewhere, like in a Notepad program, and then copy/paste into the forum box. Then if you lost it, at least it's not lost lost.

Back