Vintage Campag BB Compatibility

This is one of those Campag things I find fascinating. The catalogue says one thing, the (contemporaneous) article I took my table from another slightly different thing (and has different lengths for Nuovo Record and Super Record Ti, even though they use the same cranks as far as I know), the current catalogue says something else, Phil Wood says 116mm (JIS) with a 5mm driveside offset. Phil Wood is also my source for the statement that pre-94 Campag tapers are closer to JIS than ISO.

Why do the Italians make anything so ostensibly simple this complicated?

Re: Re:

964Cup":d3wgovfw said:
[Nuovo] Record Strada (1049/A) cranks need an asymmetric BB. Exactly which BB depends on when the crank was manufactured (pre- or post-CPSC).

What is "CPSC"? I've never heard of this term before . .

:?

https://www.cpsc.gov/

US consumer safety authority. Issued a fatwa in the early 80s requiring Campag to add rounded corners to a bunch of stuff. Post-CPSC you have curved QR levers, domed brake releases, domed crank spiders and therefore lengthened axles (hence the +1, +1.5 notation on BB axles indicating the post-CPSC extension in millimeters), changes to pedals and so on.

Re:

That's incredible!! So the USA changed Campag styles forever!! I always preferred the curved QR levers anyway.

Thanks for that.

:)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Interesting that the later C Record front mech didn't have that lip, which incidentally, I used to grind off as it always rubbed the inside of the right crank arm when in the biggest gear!

:x

I assume Campag felt that the curved and bevelled profile of the cage met the CPSC requirements.

B54D1919-F362-4BC5-9165-9EF70E659503.jpeg

This is the pre-CPSC Nuovo Record front mech:

IMG_5365_1200x800__15092.1424822299.500.750.JPG

Again making assumptions, the CPSC must have felt that the front edge of the outer side of the cage was too sharp and posed a cut hazard.

Back