1994 Manitou HT

Besides the fact that (my opinion) the whole Manitou frame construction and especially the materials were a complete epic failure especially the seat post was dumb as hell! The seat tube was larger and it still in the end needed a factory shim to take the seat post. Concentrating the stress on the seat post to a small area instead of distributing force and stress to the complete seat post by using a perfectly fitting diameter to the frames seat tube. Anyways ...

Doesn’t that add to the charm??? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

31.8 is pretty standard. Thats true. The seat üpost itself not. Its a specific one that was produced for the Answer Manitou only. Anyways ...Youll be fine and figure it out.

31.8 is pretty standard. Thats true. The seat üpost itself not. Its a specific one that was produced for the Answer Manitou only. Anyways ...Youll be fine and figure it out.
So do you reckon a standard ringle or Thomson post would tear the frame apart? 😳

I think it's more a period correct 31.8 is difficult to find.

I guess it all depends on what kind of build you want to go with, if not period specific, then there's a good selection out there 👍

This build has boosted my motivation to get on with one of my manitou's.
I need to locate a good set of manitou 3s though.

I think it's more a period correct 31.8 is difficult to find.

I guess it all depends on what kind of build you want to go with, if not period specific, then there's a good selection out there 👍

This build has boosted my motivation to get on with one of my manitou's.
I need to locate a good set of manitou 3s though.
I’m not of the ‘brochure spec’ or ‘wall hanger’ build type, but more of the ‘rideable’ builds, so I’d be happy fitting an age specific seatpost…

To be honest, I think I’m going to rock a few boats with this build, so let me know if it offends,,, 😬

Last edited:
Besides the fact that (my opinion) the whole Manitou frame construction and especially the materials were a complete epic failure especially the seat post was dumb as hell! The seat tube was larger and it still in the end needed a factory shim to take the seat post. Concentrating the stress on the seat post to a small area instead of distributing force and stress to the complete seat post by using a perfectly fitting diameter to the frames seat tube. Anyways ...
Nothing to do with the materials that DB uses in the first ones. The seat tube on the DB is 35mm outside and 27.0 seat post. That indicates a 4mm pipe wall. Indestructible children. The same thing happens in the head tube, using 1” instead of the modern 1 1/4.

I’m not of the ‘brochure spec’ or ‘wall hanger’ build type, but more of the ‘rideable’ builds, so I’d be happy fitting an age specific seatpost…

To be honest, I think I’m going to rock a few boats with this build, so let me know if it offends,,, 😬
I think you will find a seatpost that will not need a shim is 34.9mm in size. I have two of those from when I had that frame built up....
Not retro at all one being a Scott the other a Cobalt.

Latest posts

Back