Convert 1968 Raleigh Pro to indexed brifter shifting

biggest cog in back is 30 teeth. I didn't mess with it enough to see if theshort cage nuovo record could handle it, but it did handle the 27 on the olde freewheel, but only with smaller front chain rings.

"Official" max cog size is 26T. I have been able to get Nuovo Record RD's to work safely (as in being able to handle big-big without exploding) with 14-28 freewheels on three bikes. It did, however, take careful positioning of the rear axle as well as just the right chain length. Chainsets used were 49/36 and 50/37, so a chainwrap of 27T was achieved in those cases.

Here's one of them, ready for L'Eroica 2017:

ada096e4-7009-4bf5-9072-e916acc4f458.jpg

That's a very nice bike, non-fixie.

I'm using Campi clamp-on down-tube stops and am now confronted by where to put an adjuster and whose to use. I turned a ferrule for this connection and one for the chain stay stops and they both work fine.

I should add that I inadveertantly bought an Athena 8 speed rear derailleur which I would have to say is not one of Campagnolo's finer products. I'm going to be off on a month of travel starting mid December and may want to order a Chorus 8 speed, but not until I get back.

Last edited:
It looks as if the Wolf Tooth Roadlink does what I want, namely lower the Campi Nuovo Record Derailleur enough to clear the 30 tooth cog. Wolf Tooth's notes say it won't work with a triple, but I was using the triple fine with Nuovo Record with the 27T cog. I just had to remember to shift to one of the larger rear cogs before going to the 36 t chain ring.

Why do you suppose Wolf Tooth doesn't think it will work?

Am I missing anything here?

Last edited:
Personally I'd just put some gevenalle audax brake leavers on there and mount your existing friction shifters on them. IRD also makes a similar product that can work with shimano bar ends / downtube shifters or their own friction shifters. I have the IRD ones on my gravel bike running 9 speed shimano bar ends in friction mode and they are brilliant.

There needs to be a handlebar wrapping kit for people who haven't done it in 40 years. 3 rolls of tape.

It is really easy to see which side I did first.

Latest posts

Back