Vintage 6 or 7 speed 32T/34T 'touring' freewheel

sjcprojects

Orange 🍊 Fan
Possible long-shot, but if anyone has a 6 or 7 speed 32T or 34T 'touring' style freewheel which doesn't have a big jump between the lowest gear and the others (like the modern ones all tend to, for some reason...), please get in touch.

walkmanman":28il0x7n said:
Do you have one of these yet? If not, I might be able to help.

No luck so far, so that would be great if you do have something. Feel free to PM or just post here with any details...

Thanks!

sjcprojects":3mfxbn74 said:
walkmanman":3mfxbn74 said:
Do you have one of these yet? If not, I might be able to help.

No luck so far, so that would be great if you do have something. Feel free to PM or just post here with any details...

Thanks!

You might be best going with a Sunrace freewheel, as mentioned by the above chap. To explain: I wasn't going to offer you a freewheel myself, only parts for one (I was imagining freewheels in these ratios were very rare, or wouldn't have bothered suggesting this quite complicated option at all), seeing as I have cogs which include the rarer 32 and 34t low end ones, and would have suggested you find a standard ratio Suntour Perfect 6 speed full freewheel which would be compatible with my cogs which have come of a 5 speed freewheel of the same make and model. I am pretty positive this at least would work, but of course you'd probably have to track down the quite rare 6 speed version of the freewheel (might also be expensive), have the expense of my own cogs, and then be left with only a 6 speed freewheel, when I suspect that the Sunrace one would likely be available as a 7 speed (being more modern), be cheaper and also probably is more easily obtainable.

Re:

Ah, okay. Actually the Sunrace ones only go up to 28T - I have looked into this quite a bit. There are new ones available that are what I'm looking for, but they are at least £60, which is far more than I was thinking. I don't really fancy taking a freewheel apart in this case, so I'll just live with a bit of a big jump to the 32T cog...

Thanks for the thought, though!

Well, I'm glad you've looked into the sunrace option, to (unfortunately) rule it out, but from your understanding of my suggestion you'd seem to be confused about it, and it's pretty surprising as the business is quite straightforward. At no time have I suggested mixing suntour cogs with a sunrace freehub body. I thought it was pretty clear that, when talking of mixing cogs and freehub body I was only only referring to the suntour perfect model and it's 5 and 6 speed versions. And the reason I said at the beginning of the suggestion that I only thought to suggest the quite complicated above business due to the fact that the super low gear freewheels (in 6/7 speed) were so rare, was to make it clear that my suggestion is likely the best way to go if there's no other option. So I'd advise that you read over again my last thread entry and also check other information to determine yourself if 6/7 freewheel with normal ratios exist for you to track down, then I'm sure you'd reconsider my suggestion for the suntour freewheel.

Back