V vs Canti

i can set up canti with a bit of fuss but i find it a pain in the arse. unless you want period correct, or if you're on a budget, get the V's. So much easier to set up.

For what it's worth I went for cantis on my C16R - and yep fiddly, especially on the back with my small frame but look cool now and seem to work OK. I'm glad I persevered to get them right - I hate to be beaten and it would have been admitting defeat to put V brakes on.

silverclaws":2c8z5ue0 said:
Something I am after, which to me will make cantis the dogs bollox, is the Dia-Compe straddle wire hangers, which are little pulleys designed to centre when the brake is actioned, so any buckle in the wheel is taken account of. That, and am going to try the Suntour XC pro self energising brakes on the rear, see how that does.

Try freshtripe for similar pulleys, very trick :cool: and better looking than the later dia compe ones, though I have seen early dia compe's and the are the biz :cool:

Wow - mixed bag there- excellent :D

There's something about levers too isn't there? - can't use canti levers with v brakes but can use v levers with canti brakes - is that right :?:

Think i'll give the cantis a bash and see how I get on - can always change later. Do I get to use those cool CND tablet wire spreader jobs :idea:

yes, older canti levers won't work so well with v-brakes as they don't have long enough a pull on the cable.

i'm in that dilemma and gonna use a set of travel agents with my current set of nice older canti levers with xtr v-brakes.

Back