Too many choices.. Dia compe brake levers ss6

enigma

Retro Guru
Hi,
So familiar to many here I imagine ive spent way too much time thinking and looking into brake levers for a '92 I think Orange clockwork I am rebuilding.
It has dia compe cantis, and lx brifters... ive never used non shimano brakes so I find these things intriguing, beautifully made for a mass produced part, and though fiddly to strip they look clever in terms of spring tension set up etc..
Snyway as the bike is very light and so far not very expensive overall, I have been looking at going thumbies or using the early xt I think rapidfire I have and some nice levers.
I remember a design with a lovely double curve finger blade and a hole near the pivot I liked back in the day, but cant identify the memory with google.. they had like a neoprene or rubber grip which I can only find on bmx levers..
The period shimano offerings are not what I am after, and the bargain more modern dia compe levers i bought off a member here dont settle my desire on the bike...
More google time has led me to these....
dia-compe-brake-ss-6-mtn-p97003-207837_medium.jpg

Anybody using them? for the apparent looks and the price they look a good bet, as xlite chicken stix etc are seemingly too pricey and hard to find, I am quite happy to respray the clamps , polish etc , renovate some nice period levers like I was after but these look like an easys way out, descritions suggest use with anything but v brakes.
Thoughts from the collective please this bike is a decades old dream all be it in the wrong colourway, and I am excited to ride a different breed of lightweight pedigree bike than my Kona's I think the geometry will better suit my aging frame also! But I want it too stop!

Obviously I make no sense or nobody runs these out of 49 reads! However a regular poster had some ideal items for sale which had escaped my attention somehow, so some Ritchey labelled levers and some spare brakes have now been purchased.
The answer is usually on here somewhere. top banana.

Dia-compe cantilever parts usually are very good quality, things went astray with their V brakes slightly, certainly lovely looking levers, and would not look at all out of place on a 92 Clockwork.

I think you are thinking of the SS5, these have the holes under the logo sticker and some had the rubber covers

They were OE fitment on clockworks of the period

_57-jpg.282600

I think you are thinking of the SS5, these have the holes under the logo sticker and some had the rubber covers

They were OE fitment on clockworks of the period

_57-jpg.282600
There indeed they are. Some similar ritchey labelled dia Compe levers no neoprene covers sourced from a lovely guy on here today but Thankyou for the lead I will keep an eye out now!

I think I dropped scant a message I was pleased everyone helped me identify the ss5 with grips on, so not butting in at all.. fingers crossed we may both be able to acquire some levers…?

I think I dropped scant a message I was pleased everyone helped me identify the ss5 with grips on, so not butting in at all.. fingers crossed we may both be able to acquire some levers…?
Great! I forgot to use PM.
Thanks Enigma

Back