Upsidedown thumb shifters?

grey-beard

Orange 🍊 Fan
I haven't been enjoying using thumb shifters for the first time in too many years, so I thought I'd try fitting them under the bar? It's the left shifter, fitted on the right, so pushing forward moves up the cassette and flicking back goes down.
It seems easier for me, less thumb pain?
It's a 7 speed setup.
I know I haven't just invented this, but, does anyone else use this technique?

In the very early 90s when the first rapid fire thingies came out.....just to look like we had them :LOL: .

But, yes it does work....provided your brain can cope with the swap!

Oh and your knees if you go over the bar.

In fact just to make my self feel really old....heres an enlarged picture section of my bike taken in 1989!

What the hell was i thinking with that seat to bars drop.....my back has just gone into spasm just looking at the picture.....oh to be in my late 20s again! 20220717_163838.jpg

I did this in the early ‘90s with crappy SIS thumbies on my Marauder. It was a bit awkward shifting back up the cassette as I just flipped them over but looked good, at least I thought it did.

Didn't Pro Dave Baker start this BITD? Personally never had any problem with the correct way.

I'm sure a few pro racer have used this set-up. I need to dig through my archives, but if I'm not mistaken i have seen also some Yeti team riders with a Thumbie below the bar.

Back