Lightweight Cassette Advice

Treerover

Retro Newbie
Hello all,
I need some help. I’ve got a Goldtech rear 7 speed hub and want to put on a lightweight cassette .
Which modern cassettes can be fully disassembled so as I could use the sprockets with my 7 speed spacers ?
I’m assuming an 8 speed won’t fit the hub (it does have SRAM 8 speed shifters and mech)
My current cassette is an old Deore version without the drillings etc

Attachments

• IMG_3817.jpeg
    IMG_3817.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 3
Sunrace makes cheap and light ones, if you are OK with 11-28t max, you can make it sub 220 gr. easily, aftermarket alu lockrings also help. They are usually bolted together with one long bolt. Though the bolt head has a funny internal star shape, similar to torx but not quite the same - so you can alter the ratios of you want.

I use 8sp. ones to fresh old M737 cassettes up, as the ratios are the same in the 11-28t version so the 4 lower cogs can be replaced (shhh, don't tell anyone). Is the Goldtech hub' rotor made of alloy? If yes, then you need a cassette with an alloy spider, and to find one in 7sp. guise is gonna be rather difficult, I suppose.

Last edited:
Sunrace makes cheap and light ones, if you are OK with 11-28t max, you can make it sub 220 gr. easily, aftermarket alu lockrings also help. They are usually bolted together with one long bolt. Though the bolt head has a funny internal star shape, similar to torx but not quite the same - so you can alter the ratios of you want.

I use 8sp. ones to fresh old M737 cassettes up, as the ratios are the same in the 11-28t version so the 4 lower cogs can be replaced (shhh, don't tell anyone). Is the Goldtech hub' rotor made of alloy? If yes, then you need a cassette with an alloy spider, and to find one in 7sp. guise is gonna be rather difficult, I suppose.
Great advice thank you. Which Sunrace one do you use?
The splines rotor on the Goldtec is ti coated so I’d guess might not wear too badly . The present cassette mounts directly onto this with no spider, so I’d have to look into that as well. Thanks once again

Latest posts

Back