unwanted old bits for shabby specialized hardrock

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
Hi. For those who don't know my last ever cycling event is only 3 weeks away with my health problems meaning I have to give up and Im preparing for what I'm going to do after that. I'm still going to be cycling but will be combining cycling and photography to try and do something inspiring to help people like me with mental health difficulties. I've picked up an early 90s Specialized hardrock frame to use in one of the photoshoots but it's missing some bits (well it's literally a frame :roll: ) if anyone can help.

It's rough as hell but that's fine as that's the look I'm going for and that means I don't mind slightly tatty parts (anything working is a bonus). The bits I definitely need are :

Headset. threaded - I believe 1 1/8 but anyone who knows specialized please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quill stem - shorter the better but for what the bike will be ridden I'll take anything really. will need 1 1/8" not 1"

Crankset - an old 7 or 8 speed square taper crankset. don't care what it is as long as usable as bottom bracket is stuck meaning I'll have to make do with chainline etc.

Seatpost - no idea what size but hopefully someone will know what size seatpost a 1993(ish) hardrock takes

Like I say I need to build this as cheap as possible as it's going to be shabby still but ideal for this photoshoot . I'm not looking for top parts just anything lying around that I can use to get it up and at least resembling a working bike. (dare I even say Karma but whatever I can find really) There's probably more parts I need but for now that will have to do.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

Re:

Hey Martin, I'm terrible for keeping tatty bits so i've got a few I can karma you! I take it your forks are threaded since your asking for a quill stem?
I have a crank (FC MC12 was the first i found), stem (not that short) & a yst (I think) headset don't know what seatpost size you need so can't help there. what else do you need?

Re:

I've just had to dismantle a Rock Hopper due to a cracked head tube, the frame I gave away to a local re-cycle charity lot to practice welding on! Unfortunately the chainset threads were stripped so it went with that on it too, and I gave away a few other bits and bobs, but I do have (threaded) forks, a headset, a seatpost that fitted the above but it's large, 30.9, not sure if yours will be smaller....??

Anyway, let me know if any of the above appeals, I have a few bits in the parts box too. Some stuff can be karma or very nominal costs, if you can cover postage? :cool:

Re:

Thanks everyone. I normally have loads of parts but a few months ago I sold them all as a job lot (literally for pence) just to raise the money to enter mayhem and twentyfour 12. Thought I'd never build another bike but that was before I started the photography project and as usual I can't make anything simple :facepalm: .

The quill stem, headset and crankset are the priorities as it means I can at least get it looking like a bike rather than just a rusty frame. I think they're 1 1/8" aren't they? will have to double check that. Yes forks are threaded.

Of course postage costs will be covered. I'm not a complete tightwad, just really want to spend as little as possible on this as it will probably be ridden once for the photoshoot and thats it (but I've promised not to sell it as it came from a friend).

Re:

Seriously, I've got tonnes of tatty but serviceable that I'm more than happy to karma if you want it, I've got some 7 speed stx le shifters (stripped, re-greased & gwo) bound to have some canti's, mechs & other bits (will be 200gs spec upwards)

Re:

Mr Ox that would be amazing. I was going to build it 8 speed as have shifters and a rear mech but if I can get hold of 7 speed parts then 7 speed would be more than adequate. The theme is going back to my roots when I had no such thing as suspension or fancy setups, back when riding was just for exploring on whatever bike I could afford (usually a £10 apollo so a tatty specialized is actually an upgrade compared to what I used to ride :LOL: ). Going to be taking it down to my old stomping grounds with the ruins and hopefully get some half decent pictures.

If you have a look and do find anything please let me know and I'll sort you something for them. Thankyou again.

Is it definitely 1 1/8" Martin? I thought Specialized stuck with 1" longer than a lot of companies and you say it's early 90's

Re:

Whereabouts are you, Martin? I have a set of 7 speed wheels but have to admit I don't fancy posting as they are such a pain to package up....

I've a set of mismatched V brakes and levers you can have? STX rear mech, a 7 speed chain, oh, and some 'ergo' grips that I was given!

Re:

Right let's start again because I'm a complete plonker and have been looking at the wrong bike. It's not a hard rock, it's a rockhopper. Looking around I believe it's maybe a 1996. (never had a 'retro' specialized so this is a learning curve)

I'm going to need to rethink this and see if it is 1". I have a crappy apollo I can break for parts so need to see if the headset from that will fit as that's a 1". I swore it was a 1 1/8 but maybe that's just my imagination as I haven't ridden anything older than 2007 for a long time (hence a going back to my roots theme).

Will try and see if that fits tomorrow and then update with my findings / updated requirements list. Sorry everyone.

Re:

No worries Martin, glad to help if I can, you'll also be doing me a favour clearing some bits from the garage :LOL:

Back