1993 Specialized Hardrock Ultra

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Picked up a '93 Hardrock "Ultra" today, it was only 5 miles from me so I couldn't help myself, this will be replacing Mrs Jimo's bike (a pink '91 Kona Hahanna Link here... ). I think the Kona is on the large size for her, so this should be a better fit. Not that she rides it much, or ever! But maybe a New Year's resolution will fix that 😉
It seems all original, Altus A20 groupset, even has the Spesh Crossroads 2 tyres!

I paid £50 for the Hardrock, and the plan is to swap over all the parts from the Kona, bar the forks as the Hardrock has a 1" threaded headset.

A quick rummage in the shed has uncovered a 1" threaded to 1"1/8 aheadstem converter (I knew some of that "junk" would come in handy someday 😅).
I believe the frame colour is cranberry/purple fade, so should be a good match with the pink pedals, saddle etc from the Kona.

Pic is from the sellers advert as it's already in bits in the shed ready for the rebuild...

Screenshot_20231112_160000.jpg

Looks in very good nick. Nice easygoing geometry on Hardrocks of this era.

Yeah it's in better shape than the Kona, still amazes me how some of these bikes must get used a few times and then put away in a garage for.... Well, decades.
The chain was rusted to hell, but the headset is still fine, and the seatpost was also ok. 🤷

Found an hour this morning to put the finishing touches to this build, and realised the only part I've re-used from the original bike is the frame 😆.
Still it's tuned out ok I think, the majority of the components were swapped straight over from the old Kona Hahanna,
I did buy some Manitou Comp forks at a reasonable price, probably due to their short 1" threaded steerer, but they were perfect for this build, and the elatomers seem in good shape.
The brakes were another purchase, Tektro RBP V-brakes, and the Tektro rear/ Club Roost front brake boosters were also bought, along with a new headset to replace the working but rusty original.
I had to do the "Coke can shim thing" with the seatpost from the Kona as it was 0.2mm too small compared to the somewhat scratched up original, I'll see how it holds up when ridden, if it stays put then it'll be a bonus
Still to take it for a shakedown ride, but the bike stand test was positive...

Frame: 1993 Specialized Hardrock Ultra : Cro-Mo.

Fork: Manitou Comp

Headset: eBay cheap 1" Threaded
Stem: Ritchey 1"1/8 Ahead
Handlebar: X-Lite X-Country riser
Grips: Burgtec
Threaded to Threadless adapter: eBay special.

Brakes: Tektro RBP V's
Brake Pads: unknown.
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore V
Brake Booster: F: Club Roost/ R: Tektro

Shifter: Shimano 7-speed
Rear Derailleur: Shimano DX M650
Cassette: Shimano 7-speed 11-28
Chain: KMC 7-speed
Cranks: OE "CPI" from kona Hahanna
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: On-One stainless SS
Bottom Bracket:
Pedals: DMR V6 plastic.

Hub Skewers: unknown cheap 3DV
Rims: Araya CV-7
Hubs:Shimano Exage
Tyres: Schwalbe Blackjack

Saddle: Charge Bucket
Seatpost: Alloy
Seatpost Binder: unknown cheap 3DV

Weight: 27.5lbs
IMG_20231226_121932_edit_488698568313992.jpg IMG_20231226_121941_edit_488716869332475.jpg IMG_20231226_122030.jpg IMG_20231226_122016.jpg IMG_20231226_122000.jpg
IMG_20231226_122051_edit_488754407117044.jpg

Last edited:
Er... Wow! I think. It certainly makes an impression. I hope Mrs Jimo appreciates your efforts and enjoys riding it.

Back