Unknown bike any ideas

I have a very similar looking bike, lugless, badged as an O'Neill, with Shimano XT, 7 speed, and a Reynolds 531 Magnum Frame Tubes sticker. So virtually the same as the Carrera Quattro Comp. So who were O'Neill ?
(Sorry about the change in font, but I cut and pasted this from my original notes when I acquired the bike). Some traditional bike shops back then, early 90s, were suspicious of mtbs and thought it just a fad like Bmx, so surf shops filled a void. O’Neill is indeed a California inspired surf, snow, beach, lifestyle chain with international stores including 6 in the UK. One at Bluewater, also Brighton, Portsmouth, Milton Keynes etc. No cycling related stuff now but back in the day surf shops often did sell mtbs as it gave them something to sell in the winter and was the sort of thing their clientele wanted to do in the winter months. The Quattro had a bit of a cult following amongst some people. Seen as very good value for money with 531 frame and XT components. Early ones (c. 1989) were apparently lugged and had a rear U brake.
Here is a Retrobike link from way back. There are others if you search:
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/carrera-quattro-comp.159634/page-2

Latest posts

Back