Ugly modern bikes

I don't think that Moots is bad. There have always been trends in styling, frame profiles, tube manipulations. And bike industry followed that. Titanium currently appeals just to very narrow segment of riders. Maybe there will be a titanium comeback when rich snobs get fed-up with carbon, but now titanium is dead. Moots just tries to stay relevant. And this model from design point lis a nice effort. Its different, but not too much trom mainstream so it looks contemporary.

the moots is a minger dam fugly to my eyes
think i seen another bike like this

15-juniper-trail-7.5_1152_648_80_s.jpg

http://www.marinbikes.com/gb/bikes/desc ... il-wfg-7.5

Re:

That Marin looks like it's been in an accident. The bend in that top tube is waaaaay too abrupt.

There's just no flow to the bike's lines really.

And WTF is up with that headtube? Did they take a mug and turn it upside down?

Re: Re:

Raging_Bulls":1gu784dk said:

It's so you can use any standard of fork size thus avoiding the biggest retro pain in the arse of getting an ace 1" frame but not being able to find forks for it. :facepalm: :LOL:

brocklanders023":1xup7sw9 said:
Raging_Bulls":1xup7sw9 said:

It's so you can use any standard of fork size thus avoiding the biggest retro pain in the arse of getting an ace 1" frame but not being able to find forks for it. :facepalm: :LOL:

So true especially on 20" frames with 150mm headtubes!

Re:

Genuine question: those of you on this thread complaining about the looks of modern bikes - what are your opinions of these...?

210362d1163167010-old-mountain-cycle-info-1992.jpg

s_bike_909dh_163.jpg

GTLTS.JPG

Hydroforming on current bikes IS used for a reason - on the down tube usually to provide front wheel clearance under fork compression and/or to give a larger/stronger weld area at the head tube; on the top tube to provide extra standover, and so on. It allows suspension pivots and components to be placed in the optimum location for obtaining the desired ride quality and leverage curves rather than being constrained by having to use straight tubes.

You can still buy straight-tubed steel hardtail frames, just as they were 25 years ago (albeit with disc mounts and tapered head tubes), and I see plenty of them on the trails. See Cotic, Dialled Bikes, On One, Sanderson, at al.

Bear in mind the target market of a £5000 wünderbike aren't the guys spending £150 on a vintage '90s steel retrobike so I doubt they'll lose sleep over it...! ;)

Re:

I see potential in the SanAn, but never liked the bent seat tube of the GT. I do dig the weirdness of that rear suspension setup though.
They did a similar model BITD. Same rear end but a straight seat tube. That's the one I'd go for.

As for the Sbike ...
amour12.gif

brocklanders023":1jjrpg7j said:
That's very true, any one who praises that style of GT while moaning about modern bikes need to rethink their grumble.

Some Retro Bikes are butt ugly, but most Modern Bikes are super mega fugly - I think this is the general consensus.

Re:

I think that's possibly because far more bikes are FS these days and they tend to be the ones that polarise opinion the most.

Could this look any more class though..?
p5pb8985085.jpg

Back