Ugly modern bikes

cce":mgj2etiw said:
Manufacturers don't use these more expensive tube shaping processes for shits and giggles you know....

But the benefit for strength or weight saving are overkill for most bikes where the simplicity of straight tubes would result in less processing and a marginally heavier or less strong bike for a cheaper cost.

Re:

coomber":2uqyrp6b said:
cce":2uqyrp6b said:
Manufacturers don't use these more expensive tube shaping processes for shits and giggles you know....

But the benefit for strength or weight saving are overkill for most bikes where the simplicity of straight tubes would result in less processing and a marginally heavier or less strong bike for a cheaper cost.

I'd have thought a straight tube would be both stronger and lighter. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. ;)

syncrosfan":15ayfky4 said:
It's sad to see that even a company like Moots will cave in and make that 29er full suspension abomination called MX Divide! Ugh! They used to make such cool bikes but now I lost some respect of them because of this. The curved down-tube I hate curved down tubes or any curved tubes as a matter of fact. Looks from afar like some shitty Wal-Mart Huffy POS. Why Moots? Why?!!

100% agree. Another thing that puts me off modern bikes is the often weird model names with no relevance to a cycling. Add to that many come 'pre customised' with ano components. Just No.... that should be and aftermarket purchase pleasure.

M-Power":1y8yi4x8 said:
syncrosfan":1y8yi4x8 said:
It's sad to see that even a company like Moots will cave in and make that 29er full suspension abomination called MX Divide! Ugh! They used to make such cool bikes but now I lost some respect of them because of this. The curved down-tube I hate curved down tubes or any curved tubes as a matter of fact. Looks from afar like some shitty Wal-Mart Huffy POS. Why Moots? Why?!!

100% agree. Another thing that puts me off modern bikes is the often weird model names with no relevance to a cycling.
What like Lava Dome, D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X and Clockwork. Plus a myriad of random numbers?

fagin":3egjm02y said:
M-Power":3egjm02y said:
syncrosfan":3egjm02y said:

100% agree. Another thing that puts me off modern bikes is the often weird model names with no relevance to a cycling.
What like Lava Dome, D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X and Clockwork. Plus a myriad of random numbers?

You have to appreciate those top end builder's names, like the neon paint jobs, Yo Eddy in grafitti graphics etc, in the context of their time. They were edgy and 'street' compared to past formalities, catchy names that suited the rave music genre. So much of the modern mass produced stuff is a poor attempt to recreate that vibe.

The Ghost looks like many other modern bikes. I assume the design is a good balance between cost and ability. I agree that the Moots looks honking, a real mess.

From what I understand the curved down tube is to do with fork clearance. A curved top tube is for stand over. Not a problem on a hard tail or retro but a problem on full suss when you're looking at 140mm+ travel without sag at the back. Must admit that I don't like the look of most hydroformed bikes.

As for the Orange 5..... I've had a 2006, 2009 and now have a 2014 5 29 and can confirm they have changed a lot over the years. The current 5 RS I demo'd was a much nicer bike then the Santa Cruz Tallboy I had a go on regardless of the carbon frame and fancy linkages. ;)

I find it surprising that bike designers can get it so wrong. They seem to be designing bikes for 12 year-olds.
Do they ever ask grown-ups what sort of bikes they want?

Back