Nocim....my Edwardian hotrod speed machine!

Just a head's up looking at this AL styling. Jogged my memory.

Very early on, even at the birth of this new fangled material, the French did some exquisite anorexic brake
levers (can't find the name, perhaps Duralumin?), but they are like this:

View attachment 632898

The design was dusted off later by Tektro, model FL750, which I think look cool too.View attachment 632899
Yeah I've seen these tektros...they do have something I like ......a few tweeks needed maybe 😁
Those top ones are magic I really like them !

Got these... absolutely no markings or numbers or anything to hint at what they are ....came off a 60s le Mercier mixte. Had them on the flats of a set of drops for a while worked kinda well from the curl although I think they more for a swept back style bar. They would be on the Nocim....but those rusty steel ones on it are actually lighter!
IMG_20220604_133226_359.jpg

More metal mashing mayhem..😁

Now it's time for the flexible monkey metal excuse of a front brake brake cable hanger to get the boot!
It's so flexible I'm worried it'll dent my headtube badge....never mind getting me to stop in time!

Right let's start with the bit that fell off the other end of the bit I used for the rear hanger! Nice material....dense and about as hard as aluminium gets.

IMG_20220604_142448_747.jpg

Now this holes all wrong 🤔

Points the wrong way!

Let's fix that then 😁

Sometimes I think my drill press is actually trying to impress me.....by being like a little milling machine! Awww bless 😆
Done a great job of making that hole.....handy ....as that's quite important when making a clamp!

IMG_20220604_164251_754.jpg

A quick monster mash with a few files and some drillings for the recessed clamp bolt and we've got the main shape ready. About 23g at the mo with bolt...
reckon I can get that down to below 20?
Place your bets 👍

IMG_20220604_214716_598.jpg

Now I drink beer ✌️

More metal mashing mayhem..😁

Now it's time for the flexible monkey metal excuse of a front brake brake cable hanger to get the boot!
It's so flexible I'm worried it'll dent my headtube badge....never mind getting me to stop in time!

Right let's start with the bit that fell off the other end of the bit I used for the rear hanger! Nice material....dense and about as hard as aluminium gets.

View attachment 633012

Now this holes all wrong 🤔

Points the wrong way!

Let's fix that then 😁

Sometimes I think my drill press is actually trying to impress me.....by being like a little milling machine! Awww bless 😆
Done a great job of making that hole.....handy ....as that's quite important when making a clamp!

View attachment 633017

A quick monster mash with a few files and some drillings for the recessed clamp bolt and we've got the main shape ready. About 23g at the mo with bolt...
reckon I can get that down to below 20?
Place your bets 👍

View attachment 633018

Now I drink beer ✌️
Please, no more monkeying around. I've had enough of the primates. Knowing that I came of them is enough to get my tummy churning.

I wholeheartedly agree with the ending to this particular story though, as I am currently sitting here at 6 AM, not yet asleep, drinking a little beer. And another.

But once again, I'm amazed at your craftsmanship Mickey. And who'd have thought? An antique weight weenie. You're something else mate.

Braking news....

Good news!
And.....
Pants news 🤨

Good news first .....19g with bolt...yay !

Pants news...
Cutting the slot....doh....drilled the relief hole lined up the shot for cutting the slot and missed....oh the shame....like missing the ball when kicking a penalty shot 😆
Oh well ....character..😊

IMG_20220605_145937_816~2.jpg

Please, no more monkeying around. I've had enough of the primates. Knowing that I came of them is enough to get my tummy churning.

I wholeheartedly agree with the ending to this particular story though, as I am currently sitting here at 6 AM, not yet asleep, drinking a little beer. And another.

But once again, I'm amazed at your craftsmanship Mickey. And who'd have thought? An antique weight weenie. You're something else mate.
Beer for breakfast sir? Starting early ?🤣

Now in a David Christie disco stylee .....

It's time to....

Saddle up!

IMG_20220606_124843_849.jpg

Big chunk of weight lurking in them steel seat clamps! Mines about 110 grams....🤔

Cup of coffee ....head scratch.... some utterly pointless workshop doodles and let's get started!

IMG_20220606_132441_560.jpg

Meet Nobby my donkey saw....22 seconds.....and 5 mins later... we're thru💪

Next up the bit that I figured was most likely to go wrong....stuff it let's try my luck anyway I figured....holy moly got 27 mm depth of good hole out of 30.... that'll will do!

IMG_20220606_152045_725.jpg

Wowzer my drill press is the daddy 😂....wanted 22.39 I got 22.4...alrighty then 👍

Best get cracking ......

I so need a milling machine.....this took an age to get lined up for the side cuts......
Starting to wonder wether I need to be as cunning as i had planned to be with this...does it really need to be adjustable for tilt.....best have a morning coffee and make a decision!
IMG_20220606_213308_097.jpg
At least I scored a goal this time cutting the slot....couldn't really miss could I 😂

Back