Two heads are Better than One,..Roberts WSII Drop Bar Build.

Rod_Saetan":288p5m2f said:
I may be able to get you some Carl, I think I remember where it came from.

IMG_0438_zpslyqhmukm.jpg

Roly, After seeing it, I'm going to have to try it....see what you can do buddy.. :oops:

Giom6":36o5zbwl said:
Very cool mate. Hats off to you for another special build.

Cheers Gio, it came out ok for a first attempt at a drop bar build.

I have to be honest it was an intriguing project, having not rode a Drop bar MTB since the Rock Combo 20 odd years ago, i cant say i didnt lean on Pete for careful advice and use the site for multiple references.

I still think there is room for improvement and a little experimenting. I did buy a seatpost with an adjustment rail to help with saddle and bar position, and i think for my riding position i have got it right, but only time will tell.

I cant help but like it, i keep staring at it, like a schoolboy would with a new toy. :oops:

A great frame though, and something i would confidently thrash and abuse a little more than i would with the D.O.G.S B.O.L.O.X, i surprised myself with the weight thing too, i think the crank/BB/Rings and bar and stem combo all helped reduce the weight despite being unintentional.

Under advice i stopped at the cranks and rings, otherwise i would have taken it too far by adding things like a Tioga Disc Drive. :facepalm:

Although i think with a normal bar and stem set up it could be quite sweet with it.

One thing is for sure, its not a bike that would have been missed flying down the bombhole at the Malverns thats for certain.

Attachments

• thumbnail_image8.jpg
    thumbnail_image8.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 463
  • ITM seatpost..jpg
    ITM seatpost..jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 463
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 463
Big thanks to Adrian for Keeping the wheels stashed away in his loft for so long too, a great help and greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• thumbnail_image21.jpg
    thumbnail_image21.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 466
  • thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_8601 (2).JPG
    IMG_8601 (2).JPG
    471.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_8603.JPG
    IMG_8603.JPG
    316.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_8604.JPG
    IMG_8604.JPG
    368.8 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_8605.JPG
    IMG_8605.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_8606.JPG
    IMG_8606.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_8611.JPG
    IMG_8611.JPG
    297.5 KB · Views: 182
Re:

Great concept, fantastic project and great write-up (as usual) Carl :cool:

I must admit to not being a fan of drops on an mtb (probably due to the state of my neck and imagining the pain!...and the aesthetics of them) but it adds a different dimension to the build and I'd be interested to know your thoughts on how it rides!

Nice one!

Cheers

Have you ridden this much Carl? It's stunning, you made a great job of the paint. I love my dirt drop bikes. The get more use than any other bike, bar the commuter.

Which stem is that? Looks pretty long reach for a P10? Could do with a side on pic, but I'd recommend levelling off the drops a touch. I can't remember where I read it, but I think the general starting point is to have the drops basically pointing to the rear dropouts.

What do you think to the command shifters? I really liked mine, but the reverse action on the rear shifter was hard to get used to. I'd use them again in a heartbeat, but would pair them with a rapid-rise derailleur on a modern build.

Back