1992 Roberts Black Leopard

PS. Heat gun is a good shout! Our rental doesn't have the finest electric oven, so I'ma bit scared to pop a tire in there!

I have a rear tire on a recent CX project that's already installed but has a decent amount of the ol' white residue. Deflate the innertube and have at it with the heat gun I reckon! Thanks for sharing that tip. Makes perfect, logical sense.

Late to the party, but this project is coming together really nicely by the looks of things.

I reckon the Mavic will look ace with this well and suits the Euro nature of a high end British steel frame. In some ways more so than M900 XTR.

Can't wait to see this built up :cool:

Plot twist - I bought the original XTR back, still in the packaging I sent it. Don't get me wrong I love the Mavic but ever since I sold the XTR I regretted it, as I said to the RBer I sold it to, my frame seems to stare at me in disdain, like a dog just back from the vets minus his nads.
It will be great to keep this bike as original as possible. The only things that won't be original - stem, tyres, grips, saddle and paint.

Here's the XTR after I cleaned it up prior to sale.
P6090029.JPG
P6090043.JPG

No doubt the Mavic will find the right frame eventually.

Last edited:
NOS Cinelli roller stem, designed specifically for off road touring these stems were over built so as to support any extra weight on the handlebars, for example when you have a bag or pack weighing a few kilo's strapped to them and are bouncing around on rough terrain. Probably overkill but it was love at first sight, I knew as soon as I saw it that it was the one for this build.

It should go well with the Cinelli saddle (currently heading to Peachy for a makeover) and with the rest of the bike. I tried out a few different stems from the spares bin for sizing and this one has exactly the right reach.

P1010118.JPG
P1010125.JPG

575kg elastic load??? Love it! 💪

Like the pressed/indented Cinelli badge on the RHS, this is how they brand/badge old machinery! 👌

What holds the outer cable/casing to enable the inner cable to run around the roller? The only way I can see is through the pinch bolt for the handlebar clamp? Is this why it’s fitted with a nut for spannering as the centre is drilled out so no go for Allen keys? 🧐

575kg elastic load??? Love it! 💪

Like the pressed/indented Cinelli badge on the RHS, this is how they brand/badge old machinery! 👌

What holds the outer cable/casing to enable the inner cable to run around the roller? The only way I can see is through the pinch bolt for the handlebar clamp? Is this why it’s fitted with a nut for spannering as the centre is drilled out so no go for Allen keys? 🧐
Indeed, the pinch bolt doubles as a cable stop, so spanner only.

Back