Muddy Fox Prestige 1988 the £5k one.

I'm also of that opinion, generally I prefer patina & to get this back to 'show bike' condition would be massively expensive, virtually impossible & you'd lose all the history, not sure if anyone is into BMW 507's but they (BMW) 'restored' Elvis's 507 at vast expense and ruined it, may as well be a new car..

So...the rims are pretty bad in places, but will see how they come up & consider.......I'm sure the spokes were chrome orginally, they certainly aren't now ;)

I'm also of that opinion, generally I prefer patina & to get this back to 'show bike' condition would be massively expensive, virtually impossible & you'd lose all the history, not sure if anyone is into BMW 507's but they (BMW) 'restored' Elvis's 507 at vast expense and ruined it, may as well be a new car..

So...the rims are pretty bad in places, but will see how they come up & consider.......I'm sure the spokes were chrome orginally, they certainly aren't now ;)
Ha indeed I saw that car. I thought all history was lost when restored. I mean you can´t honestly say you fart in the same seat Elvis was farting in. What´s the point then :LOL: ?

Thought I might chime in with a new find as of yesterday. Apparently I have a 1988 Muddy Fox Limited Edition? Anyone know the original specs?

Attachments

• 20220714_095352.jpg
    20220714_095352.jpg
    899.1 KB · Views: 57
At a glance it looks like its pretty original other than seat and those bar ends.....there may be specs in the catalog scans posted eslsewhere.

nice find!

I've had two old bike mags in a drawer for ages, been niggling me that I was sure they were from 1988 so I dug them out and unbelieveably one has an atricle about the prestige.....interesting reading.

Wonder if no one was allowed to ride it as the chainrings look like mockups? flat and don't look like carbon fiibre.

And I was right, it did have chrome spokes........seems everything component-wise was custom made (even if just finishes like the rims and hubs) for the prestige, so a real shame the pedals are missing & the chain should be a chrome Izumi . they must have had at least one other set of equipment made as they used on the later Hatfield LTD Edition

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 20.13.13.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 20.13.25.png

Tyres very similar but not identical

PRESTIGE WHEEL COMPARISON.png

Apologies if you didn't want this cluttering up your build tread, but this seems to be the thread where most information on these limited Muddy Foxes is.

I stumbled across photos of another frame that appears to match the 1989 Limited Edition (Flickr link on the first page of this thread) in an (unfortunately) expired Carousell ad.

vintage_fillet_braze_muddyfox_mtb_rare_1583568473_d6473c9e_progressive.jpg
vintage_fillet_braze_muddyfox_mtb_rare_1583568473_682a4a4c_progressive.jpg
vintage_fillet_braze_muddyfox_mtb_rare_1583568473_e12aa4b9_progressive.jpg
vintage_fillet_braze_muddyfox_mtb_rare_1583568473_260ca5f8_progressive.jpg

No serial number to compare to yours to help work out whether they were both likely to have been built by Masaaki Ishigaki.

I think you need to contact a chap called Angelo Esposito who used to to be the Manager of Cycle Logical on New Cavendish St W1 at the junction with Hanson St as the bike was likely originally sold through there. This shop was owned by Muddy Fox and from the Early 90's maybe late 80's as far as I can remember was the only outlet for Muddy Fox's in Central London. It was also used for selling odd one offs, show bikes and excess stock, it all just used to get dumped there for Angelo and Canadian Bill (who ended up at Condor, no idea after that) to sort and sell on.

Angelo can be found as a member of the Fat Chance group on Facebook, he used to have an Aqua Fade.

I don't remember a shop called Happy bikes on the Old Kent road in the mid nineties, I was working at Edwardes in Camberwell at the time so likely would have heard of them if they were in business for any length of time unless they were at the far from London end. There was a bike shop, no idea of the name on East St market for a while which runs off the Old Kent Rd so could have been them. It could have been sold through Edwardes, they did a lot of 2nd hand bikes.

@sickpup thanks for the interesting info...I'll see if I can get hold of Angelo and if he rememebrs anything about it.

I lived in that area from 89 to 93 and remember there was a bike shop up behind Elephant shopping centre that did mostly used, maybe thats what he ment...

Back