Today's ROAD ride

Re:

No Pix, but took the Genesis tourer out for a climbing session today, having changed the Tiagra crank it came with (50,39,30) to a much more touring like XT crankset (40, 30, 22) that I got from Merlin in their sale.

What a transformation, the bike is much more rideable and climbs like a super smooth mtb. The 40 tooth outer ring may be changed to a 42 or 44 in time, but at present we are good to go.

Next job, replace the brakes, they are ummm, less inhibiting than I would like and I think would be almost useless downhill with a fully laden bike.

Still, free is free, so I ain't complaining.

Re:

I think a bigger big ring is inevitable. I spin out the 44 on mtbs. Obviously depends on the gearing at the back though

Re:

Yes but you have legs like industrial steam engines. I on the other hand am old and weak and will eventually have many kilo's of unnecessary gubbins cluttering up the bike.

That said, even I was spinning out at times, a dangerous prospect with the current brakes.

Re:

Some form of deep drop calipers, very OEM black things.

I may see if I can find some deep drop Dia Comp's to fit, as I am so impressed with the BRS200's I fitted to the Quantum.

Copied from my macretro report:

What I did .... yesterday :)

I ventured south to see in person how Brian was clearing out his shed, also to take him up on his invitation to go for a road ride. Bring your Mercian he said as I have done the wheels for Andre Bertin. I arrived with the Mercian fitted with it's new rack courtesy of Rustie Bodie onlt to find Brian fettling his ride for the day. It wasn't the Andre Bertin but a titanium lightweight singlespeed On One Lynskey fitted with cyclocross tyres. Change of plan he said, this will be 'fun' I thought.
The weather was glorious with sun shining and a nice comfortable temp.
We set off heading loosely to Strathpeffer along the dirt roads zig zagging up the valley. I was having trouble clipping in and out of me pedals and got caught out when I went through a swampy patch near the start and got the front wheel stopped by a rock in a lift the back end and almost over the bars way. Being unable to unclip meant all I could do was put my knee and elbow out and make sure I fell onto the fence side rather than the mud side. I just wasn't firing on all cyclinders at the start but soon warmed up and got into it.
We ventured along the old railway line trail for a bit until a farmer had blocked the way and while we could have lifted over some of the crude blockade he had put new lambs and ewes in the next section so best to leave them be. With this we back tracked a bit and then climbed the dirt tracks to the high ridge, not sure of the climb but it was walking only near the top, sheep track that went from almost sea level to a huge height in one straight run. We followed the tracks, sheep and human along the ridge for quite a while, eventually coming out beyond and above Strathpeffer. It was down into the village for a coffee and scone and as it was now after 4pm it was time to make a quicker route for Brians. A slightly easier ride back but still off road seen us back at Brians for about 6. It was a good ride though I was a bit under tyred in some spots but it didn't slow me down. The trail was very rough in some spots but you just had to ride to conditions, I was more worried about my trunk bag bouncing off than about handling etc as the Mercian really did ride this stuff with ease, and while I was running 32mm tyres so had a bit of cushioning I certainly wouldn't have minded Brians knobby cyclo cross tyres. This seems to be the sort of riding the Mercian is doing so maybe I will get a set of racing Ralphs as well.
It was a great ride and much enjoyed as usual. We did less than a mile on tarmac over the whole day.
If any one wants to join the next run just give one of us a shout.

Jamie

DSCN3778 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3777 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

3 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3781 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

4 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3786 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3799 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3801 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3806 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3808 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3810 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3813 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

7 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3791 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3812 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

8 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

This afternoon I had some me time. Excellent, and great weather for a ride.

So, all dressed up and somewhere to go, I hit the road. Along the seafront with a tailwind to Shoreham, through the airport and up the side of Lancing College.
This is a well used country lane, rolling and with a couple of testing little climbs, I was happy as a pig in the proverbial!

WP_20170806_15_03_49_Selfie(1)[1] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Then through Steyning, a lovely little town and along towards Wiston, and into Spithandle Lane! Nice!

WP_20170806_15_20_21_Pro[1] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Lovely quiet country road, but the surface is horrendous! Potholes galore! I sometimes see deer along here, but not today.

After which, I struggled through the headwind back into Steyning, and up the Steyning Bostal climb. A 39x23 struggle for me today! Someone kindly offered to take a photo at the top, which was kind.

WP_20170806_15_52_52_Pro[1] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Then I dropped down towards home, and a big cuppa! Smashing!

Glad I'd robbed an mtb of it's top headset bearing, it was worth it. The one on the Jackson was toast! Now I need to find some more! :LOL:

Mike

Re:

Cheers Jamie, loved your post before mine, looks fantastic!

Sadly I did cross two riders on Bianchis :(

Thankfully they were not steel ones :D

Still on the hunt

Mike

Hi mate
yeah, that ride was a while back now, plenty since of course and just back on Saturday from a few days off touring up here. Weather was just dreadfull all over so just made the most of the days I had off. Still nice to get away, especially when I had no idea where I would end up. Just loaded everything and went.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=141243&start=5180
Some pics there.
I think the Bianchi will sting for a long while yet :(

Jamie

Back