Today's ROAD ride

My only issue with retromodding this one is that I now have multiple retromods!

Of all the 80's/90's bikes I have, only one has a full groupset thats vaguely period.

I think I need one period build...maybe.

Re:

Todays road ride was on my Trek tourer conversion.

I wanted to know how it / I would cope with miles and climbing and how much of each was sensible for a days riding, bearing in mind that my plans for touring all involve Scotland.

In the end I managed a smidge under 60 miles in 4hrs 40 minutes and packed 2,850 feet of climbing in.

After that I recon 40 to 45 miles are a sensible distance, if putting up a tent and cooking a meal are on the agenda for the evening. I also need to change the brake blocks, as they sound terrible, like bits of wood up against the rims. I also need to change the saddle, as my backside had reached the limits of comfort after three hours. :facepalm:

The bike rides beautifully and I am very happy with the gearing and tyres. Next time out I'll put some weight in the back panniers too and maybe strap the tent on.

I rode from home, over to Burrington Combe and up over the Mendips.

Hup onto the Mendip Hills.

DSCN1549_zpsbcp8ka4e.jpg

At the top of Burrington it was a sharp left, from where I could see straight across to Bristol airport (slightly below me) and the whole Chew Valley.

DSCN1553_zpstzzvc4sg.jpg

A rattle down a fast hill on a road bike, which is a moderate hill on a tourer, all that frontal area I guess, through a few villages and over to Chew Valley Lake.

DSCN1554_zpscjxnazlb.jpg

From there it is now a skirt around the Western edge of Bristol, which is where I saw my first Swallow of the year, near Winford and Barrow Tanks. From there it was over to Long Ashton and then up Belmont Hill, then across to Horse Race Lane and down towards Portishead.

Horse Race Lane, looking towards Bristol.
DSCN1557_zpsdfwrskvd.jpg

In the Gordano valley just outside Portishead I crossed a bridge with the old railway line still in place. There are plans to bring this line back into service, but the costs are astronomical. Who knew in the 1960's that a town with a port for heavy shipping would turn into a commuter town.

DSCN1559_zpso9qcbxat.jpg

Just down the road I saw my second Swallow of the day. :mrgreen:

Then it was down the Gordano Valley and into Clevedon, from there over towards Yatton, passing over the M5 several times. Who would drive by choice on a Bank Holiday Monday.

DSCN1562_zpso6kduqjh.jpg

From there I cut out the drag through Yatton by nipping down the first section of the Strawberry Line, the old railway that used to run to Cheddar and beyond, then it was roads and lanes the 12 miles home.

Tea's cooking, hot quiche, baked potatoes and salad; OMG I'm hungry.

Re:

Another 2hr blast today, as I have been doing some DIY.

ie, prepping the garage doors for paint. And the garden furniture!

So, up Steyning Bostal road, from the south a gradual climb. I big ring it for training purposes. Today was one such day. 53 x 21. Because I can.

Lovely view from the top, looking east towards Truleigh Hill. The South Downs Way goes there, for anyone remotely interested! :roll:

WP_20170417_14_56_51_Pro by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Then the nice descent into Steyning itself, PAST ALL the cafes :shock: before heading north into the eloquently named Spithandle Lane. :facepalm: It's a lovely, quiet road, with an appalling surface. Today, with the bluebells out, it was lovely.

WP_20170417_15_15_29_Pro by Mike Murray, on Flickr

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=598C31A4

Then through Storrington,and turned just south of Pulborough Brooks, towards Amberley. Where I went past ANOTHER CAFE! :shock:
Up Houghton Hill to Whiteways ( nice mtb trails there, may go there in a couple of weeks with the retro mtb disciples ), to the back of Arundel.
Down across the A27 Bank Holiday traffic, and into Wick, where I headed east again, and into a crosswind. Really wanted to keep my average up along here. Being on the flat, I was going at 36 - 37 km/h on the drops.
It was nice when I overtook Mr and Mrs modern carbon Colnago ! :LOL: :LOL: They were trying too, I noticed the sweat dripping off his nose as I passed and called out ' afternoon!' Around my age, at a guess SWEET! :LOL: :LOL:

Keeping the momentum up all the way home, I wasn't me, I was Philip Gilbert holding off the chasers in Flanders a couple of weeks ago! :oops:
Really shouldn't admit to that I suppose, but sod it, if it motivates me, where's the harm?

http://www.quickstepfloorscycling.com/i ... 307f33.jpg

Hope you all had a good Easter?

Mike

Re:

Nice ride, Neil. I must get over and do some riding there some time, looks fabulous. Not in touring mode though.

Glad that you were overall pleased with the bike, too! :cool:

Mike

Re:

It's the first time I have been up there on the Trek, but is my regular leg stretch route for all my road bikes.

The top of Burrington is not too far from Cheddar Gorge, which is more fun to ride down that up, as it is not actually steep, just long.

There are lots of great rides on and around the Mendips, I'd offer to show you around but that would be like a donkey trying to show a thoroughbred how to race.

Re:

I'd just enjoy riding somewhere else mate.

I'll take the big ring off if it helps?

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":233owbzc said:
I'll take the big ring off if it helps?

It won't, remember bunny hopping up a hill at HONC? Nuff sed.

I'll get Kt to show you round, get you out with the Weston Wheelers, you'd have a hoot.

Re:

Yes that would be good mate

I could look at a wheel for the whole ride, while I grovel! :LOL:

Re:

After a very grey start to the day,

WP_20170420_06_54_39_Pro by Mike Murray, on Flickr

The weather thankfully improved, to a nice sunny afternoon, a bit fresh but that's how I like it. So went foe an after work ride.

Over towards Devils Dyke, nearly got taken out by a 60 - 70 year old classic car, as it emerged from a junction when it should have given way. I think the driver was relying on downward momentum to get it moving, rather than acceleration! :evil: :facepalm:

Safely overtaken, I carried on, to a lovely tight hairpin junction, where I always test my nerve with late braking. :roll: Boys, eh? :LOL: :LOL:
Heading west now, and into a headwind,

WP_20170420_16_29_52_Pro by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Had to wait to take this photo, as a cyclist overtook and I didn't want him in shot! :LOL:
Soon caught and passed him though, on a climb. 53 x21 was fine for that, don't know why he was on the inner chainring :?

Along the back of the downs, to the left on that last photo, through Beeding and into the outskirts of Steyning, where I tackled our local Mur de Huy! Feeling sympathy for my knees, I used the 39 x 21. Still with a 23 to spare.

WP_20170420_16_47_41_Pro by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Before dropping down the concrete, little used bridleway back down. Shake your filings out, this one!

WP_20170420_16_56_38_Pro by Mike Murray, on Flickr

WP_20170420_16_57_18_Pro by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Dropping all the way to the barn in the background.

Then down Coombes Lane, a nice quiet, well surfaced road, with hills, twists and turns. Lovely! :cool:

Before back home, through the rush hour traffic! Handsome ;)

Mike

Re:

OMG, what great roads you have in your area.

I know I have the Mendips on my doorstep, but that looks like a really lovely ride.

I'm out again tomorrow.

Back