Today's ROAD ride

Re: Re:

NeilM":3ldf0lzq said:
Amazing ride and bike, those views.... :shock:

Make my Mendip efforts look very weedy by comparison.

+1

Great ride , I'm envious! Nice bike as mentioned, too. Was looking at getting a Peugeot earlier in the week. Until I spotted something else :facepalm: :roll:

Mike

Re: Dales Ride

Chat Noir":35s4nc1b said:
First up was Park Rash, one of the hardest climbs in the Dales
ooh, just you saying it reminds me of our weekends in the Dales and looking up at that wall - not long, but possibly the steepest (visually anyway) I know.
Then the pleasant road up to Muker past a favourite café (but closed on Tuesdays) where William Fotheringham interviewed Chris Hoy in the front garden in the heady days before the Grand Depart.
wonder if Hoy was wearing lycra ;)

Finally, time to tackle Fleet Moss, a tough climb, more so because it’s stretched out in front of you with no respite and with the steepest bits at the top. Again, seemed to go well, only using the lowest gear for the final steepening, still probably less than 20% at that point and only touching 20% on the short ramp just before the summit plateau.
only ever done it the other way and the first bit ("the final steepening" as you put it) is one scary descent - steep, strong winds, no bends (so a tendency to let it go) and a cliff edge to your left as you go down.

Lovely countryside and sounds a grand day out

Re:

First day of holiday in the Forest of Dean, and met up with a fellow Retro head after being told there was a group ride going out.

Do you know this man?

IMG_1411 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Wanted for crimes against fashion, please report to the Police if you see him! :LOL: Rode with him to meet the local club, Gloucester CC,

IMG_1412 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Where we split into fast - no good for me, if I get dropped, I don't know where I am,
Medium - the group my retro friend was riding in
And duffers - say no more.

Medium it was.

No idea where I went, so a bit strange for this thread I know :facepalm: but the roads were quiet, narrow, with some surprising short, steep hills in places and with wonderful scenery to look at as well. Here's a couple of shots before the cafe stop. We obviously HAD to have a cafe stop, eh?

IMG_1413 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1414 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

We stopped at Cotswolds airfield, that is still in use, despite my initial impressions that it was a place to break up old airliners! Very popular cafe as it turned out. with petrol heads, bikers and cyclists. Chippenham cycle club also seemed to have a run out to there.

IMG_1418 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Retro shades, :cool:

IMG_1417 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Nicest bike there, IMO

IMG_1419 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Along with an old Red Arrows Gnat, the planes they used before the Hawks they now use.

IMG_1422 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Nick insisted on getting a photo of me, my best side. No, really it is! :LOL:

IMG_1421 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

On the run back out, to goodness know's where :oops: caught up with Regan on here! Looks like his ankle had heeled well, after clowning about and ending up in hospital a while ago! :LOL: :LOL:

IMG_1423 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

'Ow do!

A few more random photos towards the end of the ride, the last of which was on a fantastic, fast, well surfaced twisty downhill, so I hope you appreciate the photo! You can see how fast it is, as the rider in the picture is already starting to lean into the next right-hander! Overlooking the Severn estuary in the far distance.

IMG_1424 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1426 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1427 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1428 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Still no idea where I went, but it was nice to do a group ride for a change, and enjoy riding around some great countryside in nice weather. 95km in all.

Mike

Re:

Interesting ride Mike, you're on the Gitane I see !!! The Ducati brought back memories for me...same as that one I had in a previous life, a Darmah but mine was red.

Jon.

Re:

Cheers Jon,

It's taken over from the Bianchi as my holiday bike.

My favourite was a 750 F1, btw

Mike

Re:

Great looking ride.

Costwold Airfield used to be known as RAF Kemble, which is where the Red Arrows were based for a number of years, hence the Red Arrows Folland Gnat, which is what they flew before they got Hawks. Kemble is a few miles outside Cirencester, so you covered some proper miles.

I hope the weather is kind to you all week.

Re:

Thanks for the sentiment, and the info Neil. ;)

Looks weird seeing an aircraft graveyard/scrapyard. There was also a retro Wiltshire fire engine there! God help folk in Wilts if they get into difficulty! :shock:

Mike

Great pics Mikes, and even better to meet up again with an old buddy.

The last proper downhill was Frosters a well known haunt for anything on two wheels (in both directions) due Mainly to the challenge of the two hairpins / switch back.

Would be good to meet up with Neil and do the Chew valley lakes or Cheddar Gorge (both if possible)

Glad you enjoyed it Mr Mike Muz (guest) from. France.

Retro Spud":ecwfg0kx said:
Would be good to meet up with Neil and do the Chew valley lakes or Cheddar Gorge (both if possible)

We can do that sometime, depends how slowly you like to ride, as I am not a rapid climber.

Cheddar Gorge, round Chew Valley Lake and then up Burrington Combe isn't too hard to organise... not this week though, as I am a bit busy. :mrgreen:

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":1z9z7eqv said:
Still no idea where I went, but it was nice to do a group ride for a change, and enjoy riding around some great countryside in nice weather. 95km in all.

Mike

here you go Mike, 3,825 meters gained, sadly the Strava ap stopped about 5-10 miles out of Gloucester/ 18-22 miles from home, mind you that's just about when my legs decided to stop functioning on those lumps in the road :? and the pace dropped

Still makes me smile over the drinks debarcle at the café

Can I have a latte ?
only comes in one size Sir !
oh Okay - Pays Money

Drink arrives

Excuse me that's a Tea
That's what you asked for
I ordered a Coffee
No you asked for a F**king LARGE TEA :facepalm:

Attachments

• muz and Spud great adventures.jpg
    muz and Spud great adventures.jpg