Tub puncture repair.

I'm sure cycling weekly had an ad for tub repairs back in the late 70s early 80s not that I could afford that on paper round money, I made do with repairing throw aways from the older club members and got quite proficient at repairing them but I wasn't successful all the time, the dismay when you blew it up to find that lovely S shape bugger...
Yes, there was. A guy somewhere in Yorkshire. Leeds/Huddersfield sort of area. We all used him a lot. Nice and cheap and quick. Post on Monday afetr you had blown out on Sunday's "25" and you would have it back in time to glue back on before next Sunday.
He will no doubt be long gone by now.

I'm sure cycling weekly had an ad for tub repairs back in the late 70s early 80s not that I could afford that on paper round money, I made do with repairing throw aways from the older club members and got quite proficient at repairing them but I wasn't successful all the time, the dismay when you blew it up to find that lovely S shape bugger...
Like this? 66tubrepairing.jpg

The guy we used - Vaughan as above rings a bell - just had a small little ad in the classifieds section. We were not interested in how to do it and were happy to pay a couple of pounds to let someone else do the fiddly stuff.
We used to pay by cheque - that's how long ago it was.

It was Peter Burgin in Yorkshire. He was fast, efficient, and inexpensive. I sent him a few tubs which had been cut to ribbons, and he always quietly repaired them and sent them back as good as new, just like all the others he repaired in double-quick time. He died a while back (not sure when, my memory fails as I have not lived in The UK for a long time) which was a big loss for the cycle trade. I wonder what he may have thought of tubeless tyres?

I still fix them, but only cross tubs really, I hate skinny road tubs that are pumped up to 120psi. A latex tube with sealant in is usually a write off as it all sticks together. The last one I did took hours and I only charged £10, it’s really not worth it for the repairer.

Just had a quick looksee. Gary Brown is still around but is no longer repairing tubs.
I used Garry twice for repairs, visiting his home as well as using the postal service: excellent job done so sorry to see that he stopped about 2 years ago, and he used to sell ex-pro Conti tubulars at a decent price too!

Latest posts

Back