Tub puncture repair.

Rapparee87

Retro Guru
On tubs since 1981, started repairing them not long after, I could never afford to just throw them away. It's never been an issue for me, but just out of idle curiousity I looked on YouTube, and there's not even a single video on repairing a tub puncture, it seems to be bring a sealant (have they never heard of a spare tub?) 5 minutes gets me back on the road with a spare on.

Presumably they just throw the tub away after that. I only get about 1 puncture a year nowadays, so not an issue really with road surfaces being good here in Ireland.
As it happens I have one under repair at present, an easy fix. Then stitch it up (with thread from a worn tub) rim cement the tape back on, leave for a few days and it's good to go for many more miles. I've only had to throw away a tub once every few years that couldn't be repaired. I've never had an issue with a repaired tub, have even raced on them back in the day.

I remember back in the day there were adverts in CW advertising repair services. Will all go the way of the dodo I expect, but I love my tubs.

Last edited:
I used to repair tubs BITD but don't ride them these days. I tried repairing light TT'ing tubs but could never get them to get back to the right 'shape' despite drawing heavy lines across the stitching before cutting to help line up the sides up while stitching. I had a couple of Dunlop tub repair tins with thread and a tool for keeping the tube out of the way while stitching. They usually ended up with a pronounced 'wobble' and ended up as 'racing spares'. Unlike todays TT'ers I never rode without a spare and a pump. Heavy 'training' tubs were easier to repair and ended up reasonably re-usable. The advent of light 'clinchers' (don't like that Americanism!) when I 'came back' earlier this century meant I didn't need tubs any more. Still got several on wheels for display only as they do look good on a classic.

I remember my father repairing tubs. I also remember him swearing a lot after repairs. No thanks.

I've so far avoided the hassle by adding a few ml of sealant to fix slow tub punctures.

I used to repair tubs BITD but don't ride them these days. I tried repairing light TT'ing tubs but could never get them to get back to the right 'shape' despite drawing heavy lines across the stitching before cutting to help line up the sides up while stitching. I had a couple of Dunlop tub repair tins with thread and a tool for keeping the tube out of the way while stitching. They usually ended up with a pronounced 'wobble' and ended up as 'racing spares'. Unlike todays TT'ers I never rode without a spare and a pump. Heavy 'training' tubs were easier to repair and ended up reasonably re-usable. The advent of light 'clinchers' (don't like that Americanism!) when I 'came back' earlier this century meant I didn't need tubs any more. Still got several on wheels for display only as they do look good on a classic.
My experience and thoughts exactly

I 'discovered' tubs a couple of years back when I bought a Holdsworth Avanti with Mavic Monthlery Route rims on it.
Now I only ride tubs (Vittoria Rubino 28mm) and don't carry a spare.
But my bikes are 1982 and 1961 which does help.

Discovered after 100 miles and first flat that Orange Seal will fix a leak in 5 secs.
Next 2 flats were 1 year later - 1oz of Orange Seal lasted 1 year, but you're supposed to top it up every 3 months.

So 3 flats in 2 years, all my own fault.

In my late teens I used to fix training tubs but not race tyres though. I tried some early sealant but didn't find it too successful and shortly after was banned from using the stuff by my mother after a sealant filled tyre on a wheel I'd stored in my bedroom let go and sprayed latex around the place while I was away on a race weekend. Ruined my favourite trade top too. I had to decorate the room and a few years later part of my first week's wages after I moved out went towards replacing the carpet which sensibly wasn't replaced whilst I was still living there. I suspect that even after the best part of 50 years there'll still be traces of the stuff on the walls.

A lot depends on your local geology: Ireland or Northern England is a totally different game compared to the Hampshire where it's flint. I rarely get more than 1000 miles out of nice racing tyres before a fatal cut. Tubs would be huge amounts of hassle.

I'm sure cycling weekly had an ad for tub repairs back in the late 70s early 80s not that I could afford that on paper round money, I made do with repairing throw aways from the older club members and got quite proficient at repairing them but I wasn't successful all the time, the dismay when you blew it up to find that lovely S shape bugger...

Back