Today's ROAD ride

Happy Easter one and all.
Marge, that looks like a great ride out, my sort of thing. I like the Rockingham idea as I was very partial to going to the Nascar races back home down just outside of Melbourne there is a track called Thunderdome. On the plains they built a giant mountain and in the middle built a huge track. The Americans would come over for a four race series at the end of the year. Truly different experience in person.
Neil, funny about the 650 wheels picking up everything making it harsh, as a lot of the old randonnuers had them, though it was more to allow fatter tyres for comfort.
Away until Monday so no riding or canoeing :(

Jamie

Re:

Sorry to hear you won't be getting out Jamie,

I did 84km with a couple of mates today. Both of them on modern bikes, so nothing nice to look at! :LOL: Started off on main roads, until I extended the ride, into some smaller, single track lanes.

Do I look fresh after that distance?

IMG_1045 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

No, thought not! Got my pre-Amstel look for today! :roll: :facepalm:

Mike

Re:

Think I'll sleep well tonight!

Average of around 29km/h. Felt harder than that though.

Now time to tinker, before I make hot cross buns! :p

Hummed and hawed about going out all day due to the wind and finally left the house abut half three.

Bloody freezing. I got rained on, hailed on to the extent that I nearly turned round (there was no shelter...Not even a tree) and blown all over the road.

Picked a return route to keep the wind as dead astern as possible and finally managed to warm up a bit! No idea of mileage or average speed as I took the computer head unit off last week and forgot to put it back on.

IMAG0846_zpsva5ln2gl.jpg

As non period as it is, the compact gearing works very well on this bike in the terrain around me.

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2jbmwhaq said:
Nice bike!

Cheers Mike.

Its a bit "thrown together" at the moment as it needs a different seatpost and saddle but most importantly, I'm still trying to make up my mind/source a drivetrain that both looks right and works in my hilly locale.

I hit a wall in procurement terms with that and having spent two weeks touching up the paintwork, I simply wanted to get it on the road, hence the Centaur compact.

8 speed C-Record with a low end of 42-26 would look fantastic and be bang on period, but I simply wouldn't ride it.

Its a fabulous bike to ride though and I'm genuinely torn as to what to put on it.

I've just mapped todays ride and although it was only 30 miles (albeit in shit conditions) it felt like a lot less.

Re:

There is much to be said for retromod builds, I have several, in fact most of my bikes road or mtb fall into that category simply to make them practical.

If your are lean and strong (Mike) you can live with 53/43 and 11-25, but my legs need to be able to spin and compact chainsets allow me that luxury.

When I ride in the Highlands, it's on my Rourke with 50/34 and 11-28.

Latest posts

Back