To buy or not to buy...help!

I've had a look at the archive, wookie had one, but there is no terminal selling price. I have checked Ebay sales, but there is nothing there that old or in showroom good condition.

Straw poll maths indicates the parts alone would make £350 ish, so sadly needing to spend another 200, makes it a tricky one.

It might be time to pass it on to someone who wants the end product and does not mind spending on it.

Sadly, given this, I think it will probably get broken for parts buy my mate, which is sad.

But at least some other bikes may live with its harvested organs.

Re:

I think the original deal of needing a price was a recipe for one of you being very possibly disappointed. Ignoring labour, £200 seems very high to get back on road, getting to "perfect" is never economical.

Interestingly I did see both of those bikes. 1 was shot to bits, the other needs work.

But if the consensus is that that's fair money, I cant see it's a go-er as a proposition.

Thanks everybody.

Re: Re:

Cost rack up, for showroom, it's going to need paint, tyres, tubes, cables, blocks......la la la. If its going to be done its going to be perfect.....its just my way.....sadly

Oh well, looks like it's the breakers.

Re:

economical sense is something wasted on a retrobiker in my opinion, at the moment economical sense is also wasted on normal folk, last week we did a repair job on an awful early 90s emmelle hybrid, it ended up costing him £145 and he was happy to pay that AND he wasnt attatched to it in anyway whatsoever :| people just want transport at the moment.

scale it back on the resoration and just get it working if thats all its about, if its a medium to top end restoration expect to pay more than its worth.

not all bikes get brought back to life the way they should, but they get used.

Yes, retrobike restoration is more about passion than profit, most of us restore and build bikes regardless. If you are just looking to make money, which it sounds like then depending on what you pay for it breaking and selling parts is usually the best way to go, shame though as im sure someone on here would love to take it on as a restoration project and save it. However like above, how the bike market in general is at the moment then just give it a good clean, replace any worn parts, cables, brake blocks etc, and sell it as a whole,

Sadly it not my call as I stated to start with. Its not my bike. I've restored several bikes, way, way , way past their value because they were mine.

In this case, he wants something for it ( it's his, and quite rightly so) but I just hoped I might be able to save it in the doing.

Sadly not as my mates best option is to split it and sell it. Hes not attached to it enough to be bothered by that, so theres little I can do or offer him.

Shame, but that's the way it goes .

Back