Should I buy this?

Hello,

First time poster here and was hoping for some advice. I'm looking to get into renovating/generally learning more about how bikes are put together through the stripping down/rebuilding process. Have been scouring the internet for the past week or so and have come across a 23' GT Palomar that may actually fit me (I'm 6'5ft). I'm going to look at this bike tomorrow and am anticipating having to buy it on the spot if I want it. However, the pictures the current owner has sent me have me wondering if I should leave it and continue my search. Apologies as the pictures are pretty bad but you can see some rusting around the bottom bracket welding and what I think looks like a small but significant dent/hole in the seat stay. I know its hard to say without seeing these bikes in person but I'm wondering if those with more experience than me think it's worth the risk for £55?

Many thanks!

What’s your location?

Hello,

First time poster here and was hoping for some advice. I'm looking to get into renovating/generally learning more about how bikes are put together through the stripping down/rebuilding process. Have been scouring the internet for the past week or so and have come across a 23' GT Palomar that may actually fit me (I'm 6'5ft). I'm going to look at this bike tomorrow and am anticipating having to buy it on the spot if I want it. However, the pictures the current owner has sent me have me wondering if I should leave it and continue my search. Apologies as the pictures are pretty bad but you can see some rusting around the bottom bracket welding and what I think looks like a small but significant dent/hole in the seat stay. I know its hard to say without seeing these bikes in person but I'm wondering if those with more experience than me think it's worth the risk for £55?

Many thanks!
Going back to your original post, you mentioned that you were looking to get into renovating bikes. Whilst I don't disagree with the general feedback you've had, I do think that learning the ropes of bike restoration on a bike that doesn't cost all that much has its advantages. It gives you a low risk platform on which you can make mistakes and learn without worrying too much.

I started out on an old Raleigh Salamander, made a right mess of it at practically every stage :D but learned a lot!...

The rust on that one is certainly worthy of looking at closely, bottom bracket might be seized as might the seat post...but these are pretty common problems in bike restoration that you'll want to learn how to overcome (or find a good local bike shop who can help :))

I love all GT's and it's true that Palomar's are entry level and pretty 'ordinary', but dismantling and restoring one would be rewarding. When it is properly setup - greased, lubed and with some new tyres it'll ride great, especially if it is your size!!

If you've missed that one, no worries, there are plenty of other Palomar's, Timberlines or Outposts around that would offer a similar opportunity at a similar price point.

Good luck!

I'm not sure where you are based, but there's another one here:

I'd personally be holding out for a slightly nicer frame from earlier in the 90s (with the possibility of a much nicer paint job) because once you've put a lot of effort into it you may be quite attached to it and wish the frame was a slightly better one.

I'm not sure where you are based, but there's another one here:

I'd personally be holding out for a slightly nicer frame from earlier in the 90s (with the possibility of a much nicer paint job) because once you've put a lot of effort into it you may be quite attached to it and wish the frame was a slightly better one.
That's when you buy your second one!...and then.... :LOL:

Back