To buy or not to buy...help!

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I've been offered my mates 91 team Marin, it's been "garaged" for over a decade (ie has an old buggy on it, 26 paint tins hanging from the bars and walled-in by toot).

He got it new a couple of years after I got mine ( which I still have). The lockdown prompted him to make a life change and get back out there on it.....well we all know what's coming....

It got stored for a reason, hes tragically unfit and the bike is really not his style now. Also, he went through a rim (wore it so thin) and the fronts not far behind! Tyres shot to bits ( ones been partially eaten by something). :shock:

I fancy doing it up as I have time and have agreed to give him what it's worth finished, less the parts to do it. I dont care about the time, I'm retired, so its mine to do with as I wish, and I'm quite capable of working out the parts and services (paint, stickers etc).

So, the big question is, what is a really good 91 team worth? The only non original bits would be tyres and the rims ( unless I can find a pair of 32 hole araya 395 teams for not silly money).

Any similar sales? What's the general consensus please.

Cheers.

Re:

who knows since there is a wide variety of prices for original type bikes, I've been doing some research re my 1992 owned from new Marin Eldridge Grade. Depends on where you are etc etc. As to rims, maybe easier to get replacement wheels rather than cost of rims + build, there is a separate thread on this

I would say do you need to know now, if he's a friend, can't you do up, sell, deduct money spent and give him the balance ?

any pics, including buggy and paint cans ?

Re:

Is it the nickel plated one. They are range prestige. They are wonderful things. Long top tube so you can run a short stem and get excellent handling. I had one. I donated it to a friend in '96. Actually I didn't donate it. Actually they weren't really a friend but a very grumpy ex-partner. It was a very very good bike. Buy it. And hang onto it.

No its 91 dark zolotone. 19". The wheels are not a problem I can build them, if i can find a pair of rims.

I would love to do it the " suck it and see" route re costing, but whilst I'm happy to add time, money is another issue. I could just offer him any residual, but then it might be in his interest to just sell it as a wreck OR God forbid, break it up. That would be a real shame as it's all there apart from the mentioned bits.

I've just got no idea of it's worth these days, even a conservative estimate would be a starting point.

We talking £350 or £550? Really dont know.

Value depends on a few things really, mainly size and spec, assuming condition is good, like the forks and stem arent faded. I would say a really good original condition medium size example would fetch around the £250+ mark.

There are a few threads on here about restoring the Zolatone frames, they are pretty tough though.

Wow. Only £250. That's not good. Maybe I should tell the woman trying to sell an Eldridge for £400, that's shes a bit out!

That wont even cover tyres and some paintwork, and make any sense for him. I would have thought a finished showroom bike would go for far more.

The + indicated a price above, the price also didnt take into account the current situation and also typed before i saw your post with the size on. Like is said though, it depends on a lot of factors, including someone wanting that exact model in that size for instance, but mainly condition, without pictures its hard to truely gauge condition, one persons mint is anothers meh, if you know what i mean :)

Also one of the forum rules about leaving prices on sold adverts is to help others gauge prices of similar items, have you searched the forum for other '91 Team Marins that were for sale? I know there are a lot on here, and they are a really nice, sometimes underrated bike, but can be sort after in the right condition.

Re:

a huge factor is frame condition, have I mentioned pics, restoring zolatone would not make economic sense, they can be over restored and original patina in my view better than refurb at least with zolatone.

I think for a team in good condition as you describe after work is more than £250, saw an eldridge sell for £280 little while ago but £400 too high. V few transactions on here but the reality if you sell to someone who is after exactly what you have and you hold out then £££ achievable but the market is very volatile and unpredicable. I think location makes a difference. Definitely very boyant market in London, and some are saying complete bikes are worth more than component bits.

ps 19" c-c (as Marin did) or c-t like most others

Latest posts

Back