The MS Racing/alpinestars story.

Re: MSRacing comp XT

Hi great story and it helps to put some info behind a recent bike
Is there any value to a 89 MS Racing comp XT?
I have an opportunity to buy a nice unrestored example in the $250 dollar range
Cheers

Re: Re:

sgltrak":3spofafd said:
I have one correction to the history in the original post. The 1991 T-24 bike did not have 24" wheels as mentioned in the original post, but rather 26" wheels just like the 1992 T-26.

I can confirm this, as I've got a T-24, as from the 1991 catalogue, sitting here next to me and it's got 26" wheels.

Hope this helps, Nikica.

Re:

Many thanks for that. Think I once heard it was named from the stand over height, does that measure up?

Mine has a 12.4" seat tube and standover height varies between 55 and 70 cm, with about 62 cm or 24.4" at the middle of the top tube... so there might as well be something true to that version of the story.

I owned an MS Racing CR2 but totalled it into the back of a car. It was a fantastic frame, really stiff in the main frame but with a softer back end.
An interesting feature that I've not seen revealed anywhere is that there was a steel tensioning rod which ran the entire length of the inside of the down tube with spoke nipple style heads at either end. I would guess that the tension rod was added to increase the tensile strength of this key element. I know because mine snapped it's head tube off! If I recall correctly, the MS Racing frames were made from a 2000 series aluminium alloy rather than the 6000 and 7000 series alloys most other manufacturers were experimenting with. I'd replaced the forks with PACE RC-30's

When I snapped it, I replaced it with an Alpinestars Al-Mega XT! PACE kindly fabricated a 1 1/4" one piece stem and a crown and I ran PACE forks in that too.

Of the two, I always preferred the ride of the MS Racing. Sold my Al-Mega on in early 1991 and switched to a Scott Pro Racing!

Going to be selling my CR-1 soon if you'd like to rekindle that affair!

Attachments

• MSR CR-1 Large.jpg
    MSR CR-1 Large.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 684
mrkawasaki":w9olfpzg said:
Can't keep 'em all! Big sell off is approaching...

If there's a Ti Mega in there for future sale, I'd like first dibs on that please ;) :xmas-big-grin:

Back