The MS Racing/alpinestars story.

Re: Re:

sinnett177":30idj9kh said:
Nice find! That's its original groupset btw, can't explain why they called it an XT.
Its originality is why I love it so much. Thanks for clarifying for me. The name had me confused, but the chap was really genuine and it certainly all looks original. Do you know what saddle it would of had if not this one? Just making a start on cleaning off 27 years of grime from the chai set!!

I'm sure I read somewhare that it was supply problems due to the popularity of the new xt groupset
Alpinestars had similar issues with xtr

They do fade to a mustard colour , you'll see more of the original paint on the steerer tube when you remove the forks

Daffy":12xkfmxo said:

I had the same model a few years back but the paintwork was in a really bad condition so I had it powder coated. Nice bike to ride but last year I got rid of several of my mtbs as I got more into road riding.

Here is the bike as I sold it, for just £50, to a university student who now uses it as a commuter to college.

Attachments

• file.jpg
    file.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 1,036
Re:

My dad had a friend that helped launched Alpinestars USA in 1990, after they had first put out some bikes the previous year as MS Racing. So he got a good deal on a few sweet bikes for me and my two older brothers; mine was an AL-MEGA DX. I still have it to this day...it's got some Marzochhi forks now, different rims of course, and a few other changes, but it still has the original Shimano Deore DX components, and is still able to carry my slightly heavier frame around the single tracks.

With that as background, I just stumbled across this ebay listing today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage-...-/302053574490
https://www.flickr.com/photos/539519...57655939198773

Kind of awesome to see exactly what she used to look like when she was brand new 25 years ago...even those weird knobbies are exactly the same as mine had. And kind of crazy that this bike sat in a shop for 25 years, unridden and undamaged, and came out looking pristine. Very cool!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for this writeup. Really interesting.

I've got a CR-1 frame and fork in the shed. Been there for years. I'll dig it out and try to get some pics. Sadly its been repainted at least twice so original paint is long gone.

Re: Re:

sinnett177":1rfvqxr3 said:
Hi, no never got to the bottom of production numbers. Although I did hear only numbers in the high teens were made of the alpinestars ti-mega.

Definitely higher than that, I ran more than 20 of them across the alignment table(no fun!!!) myself.

Back